• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dude, where's my ink?

MobileImpact

I hate to break it to you, but 1 cubic centimeter (cc) is the same volume as one mililiter (ml). 2 cc/ ml per hour = 48 cc/ ml per day. 48 cc's (ml's) of ink wasted each day is not a "very small amount of ink" - it is a substantial amount to spill into a waste container each day. That is why I am questioning the amount used in each cleaning cycle.

Bob

Thats cool. I must have played hooky the day we covered metrics in High School. But no worries. The only point I am making, or trying to make is this is not a big deal and it is programmed into the machine for the users benefit. Unless you know how to put a print head in and calibrate your machine, a print head replacement could cost as much as $1500 or more including the labor to have a tech come out. Why chance it? You are not talking about a large volume of ink being moved through the printer.

In any case, disable it, change the cycle or whatever, and when your head goes or a line cracks or clogs, send me a PM and I'll be happy to change your heads.

jc1cell

The fact of the matter is that this procedure is part of solvent printing, specially with the smaller machines like the ones most of us use. As an owner you can either account for it as spoilage or factor into your pricing.

The way I see it is that once you get one of these machines is because you can have it printing two or three times a month on average size jobs that will more than compensate for the spoilage.

jc

signguytom

I put in all fresh cartridges (SS2, 440ml) on Tuesday and the machine has been pretty much running non-stop during the day, hourly cycles at night. I'm gonna have to put in new light inks soon - 3 days later. Point is, the ink wasted in the ink cycles are extremely minimal. I think a couple cc's per cycle is probably a great overestimate.

I would leave the settings as is. Especially considering new heads are $700+ each plus down time. And that is if you are able to do the change yourself. Mimaki tech labor is an entirely different subject. The wasted ink is a drop in the bucket (so to speak) compared to the costs of replacing a head.

signguytom

Our waste bucket is now full, in less than 3 months, I guess it's around 2 l, 0r almost 5 440 ml cartridges @ $110 ea. (or $200 from our local dealer).

This amounts to 2000 ml in around 2000 hrs, so 1 cc (or a quarter)/hr is about right...

That's $40 / week, and maybe not too bad anyway:smile:

The waste bucket also collects the solvent cleaner you use for maintenance (nozzle wash, dis way wash, etc.) I'd bet our waste bucket is 75% cleaner, 25% ink when it gets emptied. The cleaner is tons cheaper than the ink.

JERHEMI

I had all the same questions and concerns about my JV-3 when I got it a year ago and still every once in a while have more. Luckily myself and my business has a great relationship with my local Grimco where I purchased it and they always go above and beyond when I have any problems including sending a tech out whenever needed. Also, Grimco phone tech support is stored in my cell phone and lets just say they know me by name from calling them so often! haha

The sleep cleans can be adjusted because I had it done and it saves ALOT more ink! It still kicks on every hour for a routine clean so the heads don't dry up, but the "sleep clean" where it goes through a noticeable longer cycle clean is only a handful of times throughout the day I believe but I never actually calculated it to be exact. I think before I had it adjusted I was going through a complete set of ink in a week and I just about hit the floor that a $1,000 bucks is sitting in that waste tank and I have nothing to show for it! haha A tech has to do it though for you because the printer needs to be in service mode in order to do it. If I remember correctly the last time I emptied the waste tank was about 3 months ago maybe? Its need to be emptied ago soon though maybe in the next two weeks.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Youre all talking CC's of ink...I go thru roughly 2L of ink/solvent on a weekly basis with my printer...Vutek3360 six color. Between startup in the AM, purging during the day and Filling solvent at night, thats a LOT of fluid! Along with that, it mists during the day as well to keep the jets somewhat clear.

iSign

sales are up $100K for each of the 2 years I've had my Mimaki, (compared to the previous year, which had been my best ever by 150%)

...so with numbers like that, (and the equally impressive spike in take home pay) it never occurred to me to worry about the penny's of ink used to keep my printer in working condition.

Sign Man, I'm glad to hear you take pleasure in owning an inferior printer. Most of us recognize the superiority of Mimaki technology. Perhaps you weren't aware of that, but it is common knowledge known by most in this industry.

jdsignco

Well, the best way I have found not to waste ink from head cleaning, is keep the thing printing!

Also to all the Mutoh corn ink guys... I'll be seeing your customers in a year or so...

A proud JV-3 owner. Nothing like the smell of SS2 in the morning.