• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dull color issues on HP Scitex FB700

Lindquist

I have an on-going issue with one red color on my HP Scitex FB700. The color in question is a Pantone color: 187C.

The issue primarily stems from the fact that we just upgraded to the Scitex this year. For the last 8 years, we were printing most projects on a Colorspan 72UVX and a Mimaki JV3. We also use screen printing for some projects.

Obviously, using different printers, inks, and processes has yielded some varying results over the years, but always "in the ballpark." I never had a color complaint until this year with the Scitex.

The Pantone color prints very dull - my customer described it as "faded" (the customer had me replace a brand new sign because the color had "faded" after only a couple of weeks).

In most cases, the Scitex has produced far superior results to the Colorspan, but I have old prints from the Colorspan using the same color and the Colorspan's color is much more vibrant.

I have spent hours trying to match the Colorspan's print - I've used different Pantone colors, tons of CMYK values, printed CMYK charts, and used different print qualities and settings. I managed to quickly make the color better when I sent the CMYK value (taken from the Color Bridge) to the printer instead of the Pantone color, but it's still not right.

So far, the solution has been to print the color on the Mimaki JV3, which is still operation. It's much slower, and I can't print direct to the substrate, but it gets the job done...until today. Now I have a problem with the JV3 and I'm in the bind to get this color printed quickly.

Any suggestions?

hydo1

On my FB500 colors can also be "dull" looking. I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a 6 color printer or what.

I've taken to exporting my files as RGB jpegs for printing, and that seems to get me brighter colors than using CMYK files.

Lindquist

On my FB500 colors can also be "dull" looking. I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a 6 color printer or what.

I've taken to exporting my files as RGB jpegs for printing, and that seems to get me brighter colors than using CMYK files.

That's an interesting solution; I guess it's worth a shot. What printer RIP are you using? (I'm using the latest version of Onyx)

I guess it's also worth noting that we always run the printer in CMYKW (instead of 6 color) - the white ink was one of the primary selling points for us.

LarryB

Reds are tough on the FB's using Onyx. If you need a deeper or richer red you will need to print MaxDPI. Slow as molasses but it gets the job done.

danno

Reds are tough on the FB's using Onyx. If you need a deeper or richer red you will need to print MaxDPI. Slow as molasses but it gets the job done.

+1. have a FB700. Been old I need to write a custom profile.

Hotspur

A quick look at Gamut Report in your Onyx Media Manager will tell you the stock profiles swing from a Delta E of 9.2 (poor) to 0.4 (as good as perfect) for Red 187C so the printer is certainly capable of hitting that color.

If you want to run a test use CMYKW - Clear Film - Max DPI Saturated underflood Backlit and see what happens - I know its not the appropriate substrate but it should be close as its UV.

Often using the Swatch book feature will give you a ring-around of the red you are after and some of these may be closer to the 187c you want to see on the page.