• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dumb question...

iSign

I just bought a larger compressor from the pawn shop across the street.
I plugged it in to check it out & it got up to 100 psi, so I was satisfied. It looks to be in mint condition.

Anyway I wanted to attach my hose to it & roll it into place until the next time I need compressed air...

...but the female quick-release connection already on there seems to be a slightly different & incompatible connector then the male half I already had on my hose from my old smaller compressor (traded in to the pawn shop)

I have another compatible female quick connect, but how do I purge the air safely?

There is a valve with a ring on it, & I remember pulling that ring once before on a smaller compressor... but it seemed like it was an instant gush of the entire contents of compressed air in one violent second...

..so, with a 15 gallon size, freshly loaded up to capicity... I don't feel like experimenting aimlessly.

Would someone tell me if this is a safe way to deal with this:help:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Every compressor I've ever had, had a small, faucet style valve on the bottom of the tank which is there both for releasing air and also exhausting accumulated moisture.

The ring on the top is an emergency use valve for when all else fails.

iSign

right you are Fred... that was easy!
it is now purging in a nice controlled flow.:thankyou:

Cork, the quick connect on this compresson has a rubber gasket. My other ones have what seems to be something like three spring loaded brass ball bearings. It's quite possible that the male fitting would have worked... but it was offering enough resistance that it reminded my of my first keg party when I assigned the wrong guy to be responsible for the tap to tap into the keg my parents bought for my high school graduation before leaving on a camping trip so I could have the house for the weekend.

Anyway, once we cleaned the beer off the kitchen ceiling... we were somehow able to dump out pitchers & wait for the foam to subside. Good thing we had other recreational commodities back then... made the wait easier:thumb:

iSign

turned out the two brands of quick connect were compatible... but the resistance seemed dangerous enough for caution...

Samm

Every compressor I've ever had, had a small, faucet style valve on the bottom of the tank which is there both for releasing air and also exhausting accumulated moisture.

Tip of the Day! Advice coming from a tyre store background, for those who don't already do it - use the bottom valve which Fred described, to drain the compressor moisture, at least weekly, a vital part of maintenance which often gets overlooked. Nothing worse than water where there should be air!!!

There are two different types of fittings (at least over here there is!!) - Pemco and Nitto, look for markings stamped onto them to identify which is what!

SignManiac

If I'm not mistaken, the term for the drain valve on the bottom of your tank is called a petcock. Not sure where the name stems from ?

Billct2

From the word detective....
"Petcock" is actually a relatively new word, first appearing in the mid-19th century, but several aspects of its derivation are somewhat mysterious. The "pet" part seems to be rooted in an old sense of "pet" meaning "small," possibly related to our modern "petty," in turn harking back to the French "petit" (small), which all makes sense since a "petcock" is, as we noted, a small faucet. The "cock" part is more problematic. My own sense is that it is probably rooted in the verb "to cock," meaning "to turn up" (as in "cocking one's hat") or "to block," drawn from the defiant behavior of roosters. Whatever the logic of the term, "cock" has been used to mean "spout or faucet" since the 15th century, and is also found in the word "stopcock," which also means a small adjustable faucet.

The Sign Dude

From the word detective....
"Petcock" is actually a relatively new word, first appearing in the mid-19th century, but several aspects of its derivation are somewhat mysterious. The "pet" part seems to be rooted in an old sense of "pet" meaning "small," possibly related to our modern "petty," in turn harking back to the French "petit" (small), which all makes sense since a "petcock" is, as we noted, a small faucet. The "cock" part is more problematic. My own sense is that it is probably rooted in the verb "to cock," meaning "to turn up" (as in "cocking one's hat") or "to block," drawn from the defiant behavior of roosters. Whatever the logic of the term, "cock" has been used to mean "spout or faucet" since the 15th century, and is also found in the word "stopcock," which also means a small adjustable faucet.

WOW Bill where did you copy/paste that from? LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Billct2.... do you really believe your own stuff there ?? :Big Laugh

Everyone knows its an old word from olden medieval days and got it's start when the knights went off to the Crusades to get the Holy Lands back. They used to jail their wives.... ah.... private parts in a chastity belt. That was lotsa fun [NOT] for the home front and I do mean front.

Now, you think I'm going to say when the men returned they used a little petcock to get in there, but that's not what really happened. The women had the local bowmaster or back then woodcarver [today's sign carver] to widdle a little 'petcock' to keep themselves from going mad and told the bowsmen to keep it a secret and we all know where.... 'flipping the bird' came from..... right... the bowsmen flipped it to the enemy and to the returning knights and it became a secret court gesture between the women and their widdle petcock makers.

The End​

:beer:beer