• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dupont "DULUX" Lettering Enamel?

SignosaurusRex

Anyone ever use it or remember it for that matter. I ran across a full quart of it in a box of some misc. quarts tonight. It just says "Lettering Blue" for the color... definitely a strange tone of Blue. It appears to be good still. I don't recall ever using any of that brand before or where I got it. I'm just curious if anyone is familiar with it.

OldPaint

lettering blue...............might be the name of the color. DUPONT DULUX is automotive syntol enamel. you can letter with it. but it dries much faster then 1-shot.

Dave Drane

Dulux in Australia was much different. In the 70's it was quite good but it has always been a house paint. Now all enamel paints made here are useless thanks to the greenies.

BobM

I used to paint trucks with Dulux back in the 70's before it was replaced by Centari. It's a regular automotive enamel that would fade and chalk up if it wasn't buffed and waxed every year. Never tried to letter with it.

Si Allen

DuPont Dulux Black was the finest lettering enamel ... in the good old days.

Flowed off the brush beautifully, covered excellent and dried quickly!

Wish it was still available.

Si Allen

You are correct ... Dulux was a car paint ... but the black was fantastic as a lettering namel. Never used any of the other colors.

SignosaurusRex

** UPDATE** The can was a full can that appeared to never have been opened. I mixed the can up well, strained it into another container and cleaned the original can out thoroughly, then strained it again back into the original can to keep. It mixed very nicely to what I consider a nearly perfect viscosity (without any thinning/reducing) for hand lettering. It does say on the back of the can to "apply as received" and it is labeled as "Lettering Blue". I brushed some out on a piece of card and it covered and flowed nicely as well as seemed to develop a tack fairly quickly. This morning it's dry to a touch, fairly consistent with what I expected considering the current humidity and temperature. I did some searching and discovered that it was a spec'd paint for use in lettering railroad cars and coach's and soda pop machines as well as other things. Makes sense to me....must be a can left from my grandfather's shop or possibly O'l Buck, my first mentor. They both did plenty of those type of projects in their day. The color looks like it may be just what I need for a wall project to be started this next week so I'm considering using it. Any thoughts?

SignosaurusRex

Here's a thought... how 'bout ya fly me up there to help with that wall sign?
Now that would be a hoot! I'll keep that in mind for future jobs, unfortunately this is a project that I'll knock out in a day and the other 3 or 4 walls coming up are gonna be spread out. The weather is CRAP right now. Usually about 2-3 days of rain on and off followed by one day of sun, then another 2-3 days rain on and off, then some sun..**Repeat**:frustrated:
Ya got enough frequent flier miles?

OldPaint

we got rain the opposite of you. 2-5 days of sunshine, afternoon rains some day, and good rainy day .........bout once a week))))))