• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dura Trans

smworld

I have a customer has that has Dura Trans menus and is needing to replace some. The vendor he had been using is no longer around and we are looking to replace these for him. I need to find someone that does this or an alternative for me to show him that I can do here and would look good with what he already has.

Duratrans is equivelant to 4000 DPI. You will not get any inkjet to match that. I have done several very nice backlits with my VJ but you cant touch it.

bigpix

We do these all the time

We make alot of "Dura Trans" for one of our accounts that is nationwide, for backlit use above the doors on walk in coolers. Print them on our HP5000 Inkjet or one of our Solvent printers on SIHL media. Works great, color pops, resolution no problem. If you have a printer in house, check with your SIHL dealer for the media.

"DuraTrans" are not ink jet printed backlits.

DuratTrans are constant tone backlit outputs produced on a photo based imager like a Lightjet or Lambda.

Many clients will not accept inkjet backlits as a Duratrans knock off. They are not even close in quality....

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Merrit is correct about the whole Duratrans deal but I would say that from more then 5 feet away its pretty close looking thats for sure. Duratrans is off a lightjet with no dots so the resolution is superior but not always needed. Obvioulsy it all depends on the client. Just outsource to Merrit and Im sure your client will be happy.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
These guys print duratrans all day long with inkjet printers. They have a lot of BIG customers. I used to work for them.

www.duratran.com

Duratrans is a name of a material that can only be done on a lightjet NO inkjet can do a TRUE duratrans print, they can only mimic a duratrans print by using some form of backlit film. Inkjet produces a dot and lightjet are continuous tone no dots so the quality is better but in some cases inkjet backlit films are accecptable depending on the application. I may be totally wrong but these are my impressions I have gotten over the last 12 years of selling backlit film to guys who are trying to replicate duratrans.

jmcnicoll

Bigfish, I believe your right on. As far as I know duratran is a chemically developed photographic film (paper) that produces super color and is extremely glossy.
We print inkjet backlit with great results, but it's not like a true duratran. However, most people would never know the difference.

jiim