• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Durable substrate

sewfun52

I am making new signs for tennis court nets. They are attached to the nets near the sides. I have used 3MM WHITE EPS UNMASKED EXPANDED PVC with a laminated vinyl sticker (2' x 2' round). The problem is that the players evidently think it's fun to tag the signs while playing and they break (the signs, not the players ;-)) on impact. Is there a sturdier material out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and that can easily be cut round? My closest supply center is in Vegas. The courts are outside.

TXFB.INS

you can get thicker PVC material. say 12mm or thicker.

otherwise the better option is to get ACM or aluminum 063 maybe 080
cutting these materials are easy with a jigsaw or a hand router and then come back with a file and clean the edges up

sewfun52

Cutting ACM

I used a tool similar to a rotozip (or whatever they are called) to cut the PVC. Would that work on ACM? I have NO experience cutting ACM. With the PVC I drilled a hole in the center and used an attachment to keep the radius stable. I'm not that great at freehand but couldn't find anywhere to buy pre-cut blanks in that size.

TXFB.INS

ACM - aluminum composite material or ACP (they are both the same thing) can both be cut very easily by a rotozip.

we never freehand, if it is a lot of cut we will make a jig.
otherwise we will stick the graphics and have whatever shape is intended already on the graphics and then take pre-mask / transfer tape and cover the cut path.
This tape is clear enough to see and protects the graphics as you cut.
Again take the cut product and use a very fine file to clean the edges.