Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duratex

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

I got an email this morning about Duratex, a new line of banner, adhesive vinyl, and rigid substrate now available through Grimco. Does anyone have the scoop on any of these products? The ad refers to them as 'value' products so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over

That is the failed line from Agfa, Grimco was given the line basically.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

That sounds promising. Hahaha!

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Packaging looks colorful
    duratex.jpg

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  5. CCSG

CCSG Premium Subscriber

I think the quality of the material is similar if not the same to the forward banner however it is wrapped inwards. Roll orientation does not really matter to me. Hands down I think its better than the new briteline banner they are pushing!

6. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Is it more or less rigid? I was a huge fan of the Key banner's flexibility but the white point of the Forward. Apparently that was a popular comment and is used as a selling point for the Briteline. While I do like the Briteline banner, I'd prefer it to be a tad more flexible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

We've been using Key banner with good results for the last few years so I'm a little disappointed that they are discontinuing it. Good thing I recently restocked and have enough yardage to last the next several months until we find a replacement.

8. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    The Briteline is pretty good. However, if you're comfortable with the white point of Key I'd suggest looking at Cooley CoolFlex.

9. CCSG

CCSG Premium Subscriber

I would say that the duratex has the same rigidness as forward. The white point is better on the forward and possibly the britline. I do not have britline matte to make the comparison and I am only talking about the 13 oz banner only. I honestly liked forward more then anything else. I have also used the duratex 18 oz for pole banners and its great! I have compared it to ultraflex pole banner and I really can't tell the difference.

10. Boudica

Boudica Active Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Bump. So we've been using Ultraflex Super smooth PET for pull up banners. Our supplier has discontinued it - and recommended Duratex as a replacement. Yep, said supplier is Grimco. Anyway - just opened our first roll and we are less than happy about the white point. It looks like scrim quality - and low and behold it is. Soooo - anyone have a recommendation for banner material closer to the Ultraflex?

11. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Duratex was the house brand from Agfa. It was good material overall when Agfa sold it. Keep in mind it's not just one vinyl, it's their whole line of materials (ACM, PVC, Banner, etc). Alot of high volume shops love the stuff. Grimco wanted that business and purchased it for good reason.

12. Boudica

Boudica Active Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    What we've got is the 15oz Blockout Banner. The blockout part checks a box - but would like something smoother and a higher white point. a true replacement for the super smooth PET is what i'm looking for.

13. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Let me send you a sample of mine.

14. Boudica

Boudica Active Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    That would be great, should I PM you my shipping info?

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeffl

jeffl New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Houston
    I would hardly call it a failed line, we used it for many years with no issues. BTW, Grimco paid $35 Million, not quite a give away.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  16. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    You can get this material from other suppliers, Ultraflex still makes it. We buy ours from Fellers, I think Lexjet sells it also. Love it for retractables. Been using it for about 12+ years.

17. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Yes please.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Signature Graphix

Signature Graphix Wide Format Printing - Signage - Vehicle Wraps

Jan 18, 2020
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Id have to agree. I switched to the Duratex from the Briteline and other than the reverse roll, we are happier with the end product.