Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Dust/lint on print

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Thomas Fischetti, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    I run some mutoh printers, and I am finding it next to impossible to not have lint fly in onto the media and then ruining some print jobs if there are enough. Is there a ribbon or something similar I can put across to keep lint off? Or maybe a brush that goes across it all?

Do other printer manufacturers have solutions to fix this if I were to upgrade to a new printer?

Thanks in advance!

Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    sounds like static build up.
    It is not the printer, but more of an issue of where the printer is and what is around the printer and print media.

we have a "print room" the printer is in an enclosed, climate-controlled area that we clean regularly and have an appropriate humidity/temperature in that area

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

How clean is your shop?

How bad is static in your shop?

How does the media get loaded to where it's exposed in order to get dust and lint falling on it?

If its coming off a roll, it should be pretty clean as its feeding into the printer.

We vacuum the entire shop almost every day, use Swiffer dusters on the front end of the exposed media and the flat areas of the printer that could pick up dust from above. We also have some very low nap doormat type rugs on the floor behind and in front of the printer that absorb the static from our shoes.

4. wleong

wleong New Member

Jan 4, 2018
    CA
    I don’t have the dust on print problem but it seems every time I mount vinyl on anything, I invariably will get a speck or two in between. How do I prevent that from happening?

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    control your environment. clean area = less dust. higher humidity = less static. dirty printer = dirty prints
    most of the time, the culprit is in your printer....dust builds-up on surfaces over time, and gets knocked loose by moving parts & airflow. Areas on your printer, such as your printhead carriage/belt-area, is worth wiping-down every so often with a microfiber rag or vacuum'd out, and you'll see very little (if any) instances of print contamination.

6. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    invest in a couple good humidifiers
    you will find that sweet spot where the static is minimized but the room is still comfortable