• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Dust management & Lamination

ShortBaldBrad

I used to work on 2 jobs where at one job i worked alone and used Chinese motorized laminator. I worked alone so it was challenging to laminate rolls of 1m wide. Had to use longer cord for the foot pedal and used a duster, like suggested above, while pedalling .

At the same time i was helping a friend in his photo studio where they were making and selling top notch 2x layer 4mm methacrylate photos with the actual print sandwiched inside using 2 side adhesive film both side of the photo. I am talking about 2mx1m stuff and like that. Super deluxe... Even 1 dust particle was unacceptable as it was magnified by the 4mm thick front. That work was done by at least 2 or 3 very experienced people/ me/ at the same time on a manual laminator 120cm wide. A 3 meter by 1.5 meter table was used and 2x 1.2x2.5 meter pieces x4-5mm to move the lamination on top of them . Each person from each side with very clean hands was cleaning the work just in front of the laminator. There is no other way. Each mistake cost 50-250$ in material from my friends pocket, so take my word on that, we know how to laminate perfectly.

The only thing comparable to that quality look are the gloss sublimated panels i see nowadays, but i still like the methacrylate sandwich better. of course nowadays you can print UV at the back but i am talking about photographic printer, not sign making quality

What i am saying is at the end you can not beat manual and mastering to do sth without dust. And you will need a big table for precision work like that. Automatic laminator does not work for this as one will need a laminator with very hard rubber and very high pressure to sandwich the picture without any bubble.

Thanks for the details! - Very much appreciated!