Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner for Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Fred Weiss, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I have an older iMac running System 9.1 that we keep around for our very infrequent clipart publishing needs. It currently has a LaCie external CD burner hooked to the iMac's USB 1.0 plug. We also have Roxio Toast software which is about 2 or three upgrades out of date.

My question is ... will any external USB 2.0 DVD drive work with the older USB 1.0 of my iMac or is it just an obsolete doorstop?

Tags:
  2. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    From what I have read, you can hook up usb2 peripherals to usb1 ports, but they will only run at the slower speed.

You won't see the speed gains of usb2.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Thank you Eric. That was what I figured but didn't want to buy hoping I was correct. Speed is not an issue since it is just for creating an original master for duplicating in my DVD duplicating machine.

Oddly enough, I made an inquiry at NewEgg.com and got back this less than helpful reply:

4. gerald

gerald Member

Mar 20, 2006
    They are backwards compatible. Max speed as stated above is limited to usb 1.0. I don't know enough about Macs to know whether there are 2.0 upgrade cards or the limitations of the OS.

5. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

As a Mac dude, Fred, I concur that USB 2.0 peripherals will work on the 1.0s. My old iMac is a 333mhz machine and I've used a 2.0 external hd on it. :thumb:

6. 2NinerNiner2

2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Fred - another thing to ensure is that the software for the drive will run under 9.1. As an example, I tried to get my iPod mini to hookup to a friend's older iBook (9.x) and no go; software was for OS-X only :(

7. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    You should be able to run a USB drive no problem, if compatibility with OS 9 is a problem, depending on the model of that iMac, if it is a slot load, not the tray load, you can put 1 GB of ram in them and run Mac OS 10.4. You have to do a firmware update, but OS 10.4 works fine.

I took a 450 mhz slot loading iMac, swapped in a 700 mhz motherboard, added the ram, an 80 gig hard drive and it runs OS 10.4 like a champ.

Good resource for those older Mac machines

www.lowendmac.com