• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX4 Print Head Problem

PMac

Hi folks, I have a Roland SC 540 printer. I just purchased a DX4 print head from Digiprint Supplies and once I installed it. THE FUSE BLEW!!

This is the head I purchased right here.... http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/epson-dx4-solvent.html I couldn't resist the price.

Did I purchase the wrong head?? My SC 540 uses DX4 print heads doesn't it? I'm dead in the water until I figure this out. Plus now I need to get my head board repaired.

I could use a recommendation on that too.

Ragnabrok

usually blown fuses are from a short or cable not in all the way. A broken head could do that as well, but those aren't common out of the box.

PMac

usually blown fuses are from a short or cable not in all the way. A broken head could do that as well, but those aren't common out of the box.
Hey thank you for taking the time to respond. I tried re-seating the cables and re-installed a new fuse. Fuse blew again. Still no print on group A :-(
So you think I got the right head?

Ragnabrok

looks like the right head, at least looks the same as the ones that come out of the Roland boxes.

Does your old head still work? if you put that back in does the fuse insta-blow again?

brightbanner

i like vivid color
DX4 solvent head is correct for SC540.

install a new fuse, and start printer without printer head, find if the fuse blew again.

Brent

PMac

looks like the right head, at least looks the same as the ones that come out of the Roland boxes.

Does your old head still work? if you put that back in does the fuse insta-blow again?

Hey thanks for responding!! Yes. I did that today. I plugged the old head back in and this time the fuse did not blow. So, it's definitely the print head making the fuse blow. greysquirrel above said there was some way to input the frequency or voltage?

PMac

DX4 solvent head is correct for SC540.

install a new fuse, and start printer without printer head, find if the fuse blew again.

Brent

Hey Brent, what I did today was re-install the old head. And the fuse did not blow this time. The head board is still in good shape THANK GOODNESS! Definitely the new head that's blowing the fuse, for some reason.

Thanks Brent!

PMac

Did you input the head voltage? Maybe it was not accurate on the aftermarket head

I looked at a service manual on replacing heads. It never mentions the word frequency. But it does mention entering the the heads "RANK" while in service mode? do you think maybe that's the same thing?

Ragnabrok

Voltage and pulse width are supposedly in the head rank, but if the number wasn't printed on the head or the box it came in it's not going to help much.

greysquirrel

Yes..head rank needs to be correctly input or the head may not work properly...Heads can be used for different printers..the head rank configures it to your printer...

ProPDF

We have replaced many DX4 heads and the head rank is not required. You have another issue you may want to get a tech out to check. Get your heads from sign-in-china next time.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Oh the old head rank debate. It never seems to end. I haven't input a head rank in 8 years as a full time technician. That's on DX2, DX3, DX4, DX5 and DX7 heads. Not once have I had an issue. I heard early on from a manufacturer tech that the head ranks are necessary in water based printers but basically useless in solvent printers due to the different viscosity of the inks. So in the end, a head rank could not cause a head to blow a fuse and you most likely have a head with a short in it somewhere. Hopefully they take care of you. If they don't, think about purchasing from us next time. We may be more expensive but we would replace a DOA head after troubleshooting with you and offer free phone support as well.

graphix

Oh the old head rank debate. It never seems to end. I haven't input a head rank in 8 years as a full time technician. That's on DX2, DX3, DX4, DX5 and DX7 heads. Not once have I had an issue. I heard early on from a manufacturer tech that the head ranks are necessary in water based printers but basically useless in solvent printers due to the different viscosity of the inks. So in the end, a head rank could not cause a head to blow a fuse and you most likely have a head with a short in it somewhere. Hopefully they take care of you. If they don't, think about purchasing from us next time. We may be more expensive but we would replace a DOA head after troubleshooting with you and offer free phone support as well.
What's is your price for a dx4 head for a roland sp300 solvent printer plus 4 dampers total price include shipping to 45144 thanks

Hi folks, I have a Roland SC 540 printer. I just purchased a DX4 print head from Digiprint Supplies and once I installed it. THE FUSE BLEW!!

This is the head I purchased right here.... http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/epson-dx4-solvent.html I couldn't resist the price.

Did I purchase the wrong head?? My SC 540 uses DX4 print heads doesn't it? I'm dead in the water until I figure this out. Plus now I need to get my head board repaired.

I could use a recommendation on that too.

Hi PMac,

Feel free to contact our free technical support for any assistance.
Our engineers can help you solve your issue.

Sincerely,

The DIGIPRINT SUPPLIES Team