• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX5 epson print head locked?

TBFL

Hello All,
I just pulled a DX5 head out of a r1900 and put it in my 7880. Getting an error code 0001001B. Is this a locked print head and will not work in my 7880? I checked everything else out including putting old head back in and it worked (except for the usual clog). My 4880 and 7880 heads are interchangeable. Any thoughts?

styleyouneed

a google search you will find that This is a printhead driver temperature error. The usual fix is to replace the printhead. If that fails, the mainboard needs to be replaced. if the head was bad it could have fried your main board. Was it from a confirmed working R1900?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Regardless of the temperature error it is almost certainly a locked head unless you happened to find a new old stock (2+ year old) R1900 that you pulled the head from. If you get past the error and get it printing it might only print a few inches then leave a half inch gap, then print a few inches then another gap. That would be a locked head. You can find head decoder boards on the web that come with a second set of head cables that go between the head and machine to work around the locked head problem. Have not tried one myself but they supposedly work fine.

brightbanner

i like vivid color
Hello All,
I just pulled a DX5 head out of a r1900 and put it in my 7880. Getting an error code 0001001B. Is this a locked print head and will not work in my 7880? I checked everything else out including putting old head back in and it worked (except for the usual clog). My 4880 and 7880 heads are interchangeable. Any thoughts?

Yes, Epson locked DX5 head again.

Brent

TBFL

Thanks everyone for responding. I believe it is a locked head as I have installed the r1900 head and the original 2 times each. the original head works fine and the r1900 head pulls a code each time. The problem with the original is that the head is clogged about 70%. I have two DX5 heads (now 3 including the r1900) one from a 4880 and the 7880. Both of these heads are clogged about 70%. I had them both soaking in distilled water for two weeks while I was away since both heads had some jet clogs. I would say only about 10% blockage. I believe I damaged the heads by flushing and backflushing them with windex before soaking them in the water. I just can't imagine both heads would get worse just by soaking in distilled water.
I might try the decoder and see if that works and I appreciate the responses.

mkp007

DX5 decoder version

Thanks everyone for responding. I believe it is a locked head as I have installed the r1900 head and the original 2 times each. the original head works fine and the r1900 head pulls a code each time. The problem with the original is that the head is clogged about 70%. I have two DX5 heads (now 3 including the r1900) one from a 4880 and the 7880. Both of these heads are clogged about 70%. I had them both soaking in distilled water for two weeks while I was away since both heads had some jet clogs. I would say only about 10% blockage. I believe I damaged the heads by flushing and backflushing them with windex before soaking them in the water. I just can't imagine both heads would get worse just by soaking in distilled water.
I might try the decoder and see if that works and I appreciate the responses.

I also have the 7880 and currently have an older model R1900 DX5 printhead (IF33V). It has been working great. I have two different decoders and both seem to function the same (one is ver 1 and the other ver 2, the version two has the connectors all facing up). Unfortunately, the black channel is spitting so I had to turn it off. The head ran into the surface I was printing on. I have two new printheads, one from a R2000 (IA0770) and the other from a new SC-P400. Unfortunately, the R2000 has the gaps even with the decoder and the SC-P400 is giving the 001001B overheat (won't print ink at all). Buzz kill. I plan on posting more later but thought I'd share a bit now. The DX5 head in the SC-P400 will require a new type of decoder as it is very different (IF464V).

So I think since yours gave a 001001B error, you have a cable that is bad or misaligned in the connector. Or, Epson has somehow changed those older printheads with newer technology because it should have printed but would have given gaps at 16" to 18" in head travel (in uni-direction printing mode and two sets of gaps in bi-direction mode). Maybe someone had changed that printhead and sold it to you. I think that's what happened on the R2000 that has gaps because I have had a previous R2000 and it worked fine. Strange stuff. Epson is keeping us guessing. More later.

TBFL

I never did the decoder to work. i moved on to an Epson 10600. I bought 2 used for great price. I have one set for sublimation and it has been working fine until recently. I had a blocked Blk/Cyn capping station . tried to fix but ended up replacing it with the one from the other machine. Fired right up and am doing an auto clean as I type this. I like this printer.

mkp007

I never did the decoder to work. i moved on to an Epson 10600. I bought 2 used for great price. I have one set for sublimation and it has been working fine until recently. I had a blocked Blk/Cyn capping station . tried to fix but ended up replacing it with the one from the other machine. Fired right up and am doing an auto clean as I type this. I like this printer.

Thank you for the update. Could you please recap what you tried and the results? From what I understand, you installed a decoder between the printhead and the driver board and you still got the 001001B overheat error. If so, did this error occur right after powering up the printer?

Do you still have the R1900 DX5 printhead? If so, can you unscrew the manifold from it and take a pic of the circuit.

cheers.