• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX5 printhead for Mutoh 13xx/12xx/16xx: Using a R800 head? R1800 head?

Rayd8

Hi all,

As being new to the DX5-printhead-"compatibility"-concept i was wondering if anyone knows if an R800 or R1800 DX5-printhead would work on a valuejet (apart from the manifold which clearly needs to be replaced by a solvent-version as wel as the rubber gasket between the head and the manifold)? Just curious of such would even work?

Thanks for any testers out there who would like to share their DX5-R800/-R1800-experience on Mutohs.

Greetings from Belgium,

Ray

PS: thank you all for your knowledge, even if i only know this forum for a few days it already has been very informative.

Rayd8

As far as i can figure out the R800 has a DX5 printhead with reference F152000.
Anyone any experience with these heads on a wide printer?
Thx,
Thierry

FatCat

There has been many threads on this over the years. In fact, its common policy for companies overseas that produce wide format printers and lack a license from Epson to yank DX5 heads from brand new desktop printers and use them. However, the key is knowing which head is which. There are definitely solvent versions and non-solvent versions. I honestly don't know how to tell them apart, and I have heard a non-solvent head will fail in a solvent printer within a week or so once the ink breaks down the internals.

Rayd8

Hi Sean/FatCat,

Thx for your input. yes indeed, i have a hard time figuring this out. It would be a good idea to build some sort of list for known print heads that do work? As far as i can see in this forum removed heads from Epson R2000's and Epson 9800's seem to work just fine (off course after changing the manifold and installing a decoder board). But i don't see anywhere success nor failiure in doing so with a R800/R1800 print head (which most likely doesn't need a decoder board as Epson didn't lock those early-generation printheads or R800's and R1800's? And that's exactly why they got my interest, since then it's a 'mere' printhead&manifold swap.

Should anybody feel the need to add positive/negative facts it would benefit many to my feeling?

Should somebody have a bad DX5 with a Mutoh solvent-manifold laying around in Europe send this over to me i'm willing to give it a go on my ValueJet and let all of us know the result?

Grtz

Thierry

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
At some point around 3 years ago Epson started messing with the circuit boards on these heads. Unfortunately there is no small format DX5 head that will work properly out of the box on a large format printer. There are little decoders you can buy in China that work around the issue but I don't have any experience with those.

Rayd8

Hi VanderJ, Yes, read that too: any head more recent than 2012. But: R800's and R1800 are from before this period? Grtz, T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk