• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX7 Printhead needed for Roland BN20 must be cheap please help as ive just smoked one from China and lost $1200 AKA £900

adamfromayr

Never use Chinese dampers on DX7 heads. I had one customer, who ordered those from Digiprint. When I saw them, I told the customer that it would be crazy to risk a 2k€ head by using these dampers. I told him to throw this trash away and installed the real ones that cost some 100 Euros each... (it's on a EJ with two DX7... it printed over 150'000 sqm already and keeps going)
Guess what! I ordered 8 x Chinese DX7 Dampeners from Aliexpress

And got an email from the seller

Saying: Please can you cancel this purchase

As there was something wrong with this batch from the production line

MAYBE THIS HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM GUYS?

We are all using CHEAP Inferior copies of the DX7 Dampeners, and they LEAK ruining all our heads?

I thought digisupllies would have sold the originals!

damonCA21

Do you mean digiprint supplies in germany? Most of what they sell are non original chinese parts, they just charge a lot more for them!

adamfromayr

I still cant afford new DX7 heads and the one i did hget did work!

But somehow got ruined

And i think a few had a lot of ink inside mixed up, so i will get some genuine new Roland dampers for sure now!

These copies dampers maybe dodgy and leaking causing everybody's issues?

Red Alpha

I cant say if its fake or not ive no experience but the guys feedback was great and also he sent a test video before sending it, and also i did have that printhead working but you can see the image where the cable has now snapped!

Lost $1200 but what did i gain from it?

Experience

Its easy for me to blame the China guy but i will never know if the head was a bit dodgy or it was down to me also i was very carefull but the cables i think were to blame for all this in the first place as i kept swapping bits around etc

Being 100% honest i dont really know if the head was on its last legs? or i simply $$$$$$$$$$$ UP

Anyone have a DX7 Head for sale cheap? xxx :oops:
I have a different printer but it has the exact same print head. When you say the cables were to blame are you talking about the ribbon cables? I'm about to order a new set of ribbon cables and a couple fuses. I'll know pretty soon if that is the issue on mine. Sorry you're struggling with this, I feel your pain

damonCA21

I have a different printer but it has the exact same print head. When you say the cables were to blame are you talking about the ribbon cables? I'm about to order a new set of ribbon cables and a couple fuses. I'll know pretty soon if that is the issue on mine. Sorry you're struggling with this, I feel your pain

Just make sure the printer is off and fully discharged before doing any work on it ! Also order a pack of ten fuses as they cost next to nothing, and it's sods law if you only get a couple they will blow and you won't have any spares.

damonCA21

I think you may struggle a bit if selling them on. A fully working one will only go for about £2200 at the most ( despite what some people are asking for them on Ebay, but those ones never sell ! ). I think you said you paid about £350 for them? Even after adding a cheap head by the time you add in OEM dampers ( £90 each ) plus all the cables, ink and other bits and pieces you are probably going to lose money after Ebay take their fees :(

adamfromayr

Have FAITH Damon lol have faith i could sell gold to Arabs you think ebay sellers are asking a lot try the one on Gumtree a Dumb Yorkshire man wants £5,500 for his used one? LOL its true

I will get £3k for mine and list in a lower fee category and dont forget Damon! What else do i gain? NOT just money Damon not just money my dear friend

I gain expert knowledge now i know them inside out now ive totally stripped one down and rebuilt it meaning next time i will wiz through any BN20 printers with ease!
You know the big stainless steel carriage pole? Even took that off right, and scrubbed it till it was shiney and the carriage blocks? super cleaned those and guess what, it runs so much better now putting less strees on the motors etc!
Almost will be like a new one soon (watch this space)
I also do powder coating all the scratched sides? im powder coating all them to make it look as good as new! :clapping:

Right where was i? Red Alpha get a magnifying glass and a bright torch and check your cables are all intact and damaged free and also check they are bone dry!

You can see the image i posted of the damaged one i opened up below, Doesnt look like their cables were the issue being honest! I bought these as non-working i must point that out again so not complaining

I think they were left so long the head dried up crusty inside hence why some channels were not working but bear in mind im doing 2 x BN20 and also i put the cables in wrong as one is a 28 x pin cable the other 3 are 29 x pin cables!

DSC03370.JPG

adamfromayr

DONT DO THIS! LOL

But just think about this for a minute okay?

What would happen if you joined the 2 x prongs on our UK Sockets with a cable? B A N G

Well what happens when a MICRO bit of ink touches those tiny little gold prongs on the sides of the DX7 With Conductive INK? mmmmmm

You can see how bad this head looks like inside guys OLD INK No wonder i was doomed from the get go