• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX7 printhead

sipora

As you may know, the era of DX5 might have come to an end :( New batch of Epson DX5 printheads don't work anymore, only the older version would work, and eventually they will run out of stock. Each "older" DX5 head is valued at $1,200 right now and it's so hard to buy.

I was thinking of shifting to use the DX7 instead as a survival method. Do you guys have any experience of using the DX7? What type of machine would this be compatible? Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland would work?

Thanks!

Chipemulator

Dont worry about DX5, Epson have agreemants with Mutoh,Rolland and Mimaki and they will produce DX5 heads for at least 4-5 years.

Anyone remembers Mimaki JV2??
Producion was stopped about 10 years ago and just this year mimaki said: "we dont have more printheads for Jv2"

regards

www.chipemulator.com

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
"as you may know"....

I still would want to see it for myself. The DX5 printheads have NO LOGIC on their circuit boards. Only a few resistors. Attached is something few have ever seen before, 2 DX5 heads, a Mimaki OEM IH47V one and a generic Epson IF33V with the potting compound removed exposing the entire circuit board on the head. Nothing but a few resistors. There is nothing electronic on these that could cause a machine to make a line every so often.

The only thing that could cause that would be a problem with the head, something in the printers firmware that is detecting a head with a specific resistance level, or something wrong with the printer, or Epson has added some sort of a logic chip to the board on the top of the printheads that somehow detects the printer as not being an Epson branded machine. I just do not see that last option as very likely.

The head resistance level check is what Mimaki added to the JV33 machines in firmware version 3.0 and higher. The OEM Mimaki DX5 IH47V heads have a different resistor value on some pin than a generic Epson head. This is why on a JV33 if you downgrade the printer firmware to version 2 you can use the generic heads.

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,553

4R Graphics

Sightline,
Glad to see you post up the pics and what not I did not know how they did the check in the new firm ware but as I stated in this guys other post the print heads from an electronic stand point are dumb and unless they added a chip to them (as you said very unlikly) then the problem is either bad heads but if it is happening with several different heads then the problem is most likly the printer.

Common since dictates that if you have several things giving you the same problem and nothing has changed (ie the heads have not been modified ) then the common denominator of the problem is not the head its something controling it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Well - I cleaned them off a couple of years ago to see for myself what exactly was on the heads. The idea was to compare the Mimaki OEM head to a generic one with the possibility of in the future figuring a way to add a resistor to a generic head to allow it's use on a Mimaki JV33 with firmware 3.0 and higher (or other models with the head check implemented in the firmware).

I just never got the time to really go through all of the pins in the ribbon connectors and determine all the values and then test some. If I can eventually get the time to do so my plan was to actually add a resistor further up the line on the slider board itself that would simply make the machine think any head installed is a Mimaki OEM (IH47V green connector) head. This would eliminate the need to use Mimaki OEM heads and eliminate the need to keep your machine at a very early firmware just so you can use a generic head.

Back on the OP's post. I'm not saying Epson could not have or did not possibly add some sort of logic chip to the board on the heads. That is possible for sure but it seems unlikely. They have been known though to do all sorts of things to restrict access to their heads to prevent do it yourselfers from replacing them on their own or at a lower cost than going through a dealer.

sipora

I always used generic Epson DX5 heads pulled from the desktop printers, such as the R1900, but this method doesn't work anymore. If you take a generic head bought, maybe half a year ago, it still works just fine. BUt the new "version" of generic DX5 head would cause an odd line. I'll take a look into downgrading the firmware, even though I believe it's the head that causes the problem.

Masseria

Is there a way to transform a machine working with DX5 printhead to DX7?

Newer Mutohs are coming with DX7, while our jv33 is working with DX5. Still got 3 if needed to change it.

Just asking if its possible. Same electronic? same input?

sipora

Is there a way to transform a machine working with DX5 printhead to DX7?

Newer Mutohs are coming with DX7, while our jv33 is working with DX5. Still got 3 if needed to change it.

Just asking if its possible. Same electronic? same input?

DX7 works with JV33.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Well I have been hearing that somehow some of the newer DX5 heads being obtained are somehow crippled and intended for smaller machines. I have no idea what or how they might have done so though.

I think there is also public confusion about the versions/naming of the assorted heads Epson produces. The DX5 as we know actually is made in a couple of configurations. I do not believe Epson actually uses the term DX(X) as a designation of their heads but I could be wrong on this. All of this is conjecture and opinion on my part.

I've uploaded some images of some of them labeling them as I think the actual evolution went. I do know that what we think of as the DX5 is/was made in at least 3 different forms. 2 of them are the familiar 8 channel form that we have seen. The most common longish flat version that is used in many machines. The second primary version is a more compact and upright 8 channel version which I believe has commonly been called the DX6 but is in all actuality the exact same spec as a DX5, just in a vertical more compact package. On this version each of the 2 head cables come out of each side instead of both from the same side and these use a different style damper. There is also a 4 channel half size "DX5" head used in quite a few smaller printers. I'd think the compact upright version that many have called both DX6 and DX7 would be electrically compatible with a DX5 machine as long as you could make your two head cables reach each side and you would figure out a way to mount it to your head carriage.

Epson's newest head which is believe is what many are referring to as the DX7 is a different beast and there is no way it could be physically or electrically compatible with a DX5 machine. The newest head has 10 channels and is very obviously different with the main nozzle plate cover having dividers between each of the pairs of channels. The firmware and much more on the machine would have to be quite different to work with the new 10 channel head.

Again - these are just my thoughts on these. I could be totally wrong on all of this. As far as the newest DX5's being ripped out of Epson desktop printers having a blank line printing every so often.... I just do not know. Maybe they did indeed modify something on the newest batches of non-OEM DX5 heads to prevent them from working in wide format machines and DTG machines which is the most common reason they get ripped out of brand new desktop printers. I'm very confident and certain they still make OEM heads for sale directly through OEMs like Mimaki which will work perfectly fine though. You will just pay three times as much for the head is all.

Attachments

• DX5_head.jpg
    DX5_head.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 771
  • DX5-6.jpg
    DX5-6.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 983
  • DX5_4Channel.jpg
    DX5_4Channel.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 817
  • Epson-DX7.jpg
    Epson-DX7.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,162

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The second primary version is a more compact and upright 8 channel version which I believe has commonly been called the DX6 but is in all actuality the exact same spec as a DX5, just in a vertical more compact package. On this version each of the 2 head cables come out of each side instead of both from the same side and these use a different style damper.

The first revision of the vertical head had the same drop sizes as the horizontal head. Mutoh used this first generation in the ValueJet 1618 and the ValueJet 1608HA and 1608HS. I am not sure if electronically they are the same though and have no idea if they are compatible with a printer that has the horizontal heads. I highly doubt that they will work.

The current revision of the vertical head has two additional drop sizes and is definitally not compatible with any of the older horizontal heads. Mutoh uses these heads in all of the current ValueJet printers (1324, 1624, 1638, 2638, RJ-900X and the upcoming Hybrid 1617)

Masseria

I'm very confident and certain they still make OEM heads for sale directly through OEMs like Mimaki which will work perfectly fine though. You will just pay three times as much for the head is all.

Agree. Mimaki as far as i know, signed 3 years, for dx5 production, but as you say.. you will pay x3.
I bought my 1st head replace from them...same price got 3 non-oem. and work perfect. I'll check if my supplier still have stock, so i can buy some more(because of the blank line problem), and if it does, i'll send you the info if anyone is interested.

Dont know if newer mimaki's are using DX7, mutoh is.. I'll ask mutoh people if there is a possibility to swap dx5 from JV33 to a DX7.
they'll surely tell me, because im buying 1 or 2 machines from them.

sipora

Agree. Mimaki as far as i know, signed 3 years, for dx5 production, but as you say.. you will pay x3.
I bought my 1st head replace from them...same price got 3 non-oem. and work perfect. I'll check if my supplier still have stock, so i can buy some more(because of the blank line problem), and if it does, i'll send you the info if anyone is interested.

Dont know if newer mimaki's are using DX7, mutoh is.. I'll ask mutoh people if there is a possibility to swap dx5 from JV33 to a DX7.
they'll surely tell me, because im buying 1 or 2 machines from them.

I'm very interested but the price is probably rocket high.

nhuminh

As I know Roland is not using DX5, they are using DX6 for their new printer, DX5 printhead for Mimaki, Mutoh still producted by Epson.
But DX5 that all China printer company are using now will not able to use anymore. because China printer company using DX5 from Epson desktop printer, Epson know that and they changed some thing new DX5 print head, if install that new DX5 for Desktop printer to large format printer it can only print 60cm wide.
So if you use Mimaki, Mutoh, you have to buy original print head form them

inkmed

it is near impossible swap DX5 head to DX7 head.
you need swap all the boards and cables, capping, dampers...
it is same to swap a new printer

And, Epson change the DX7 head too
So, if you want buy DX7 head, have to confirm if it is old version head.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

Masseria

it is near impossible swap DX5 head to DX7 head.
you need swap all the boards and cables, capping, dampers...
it is same to swap a new printer

And, Epson change the DX7 head too
So, if you want buy DX7 head, have to confirm if it is old version head.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

Good to know, was going to buy Mutoh, and they are coming with DX7 printhead, do you know anything else about the versions?

ty.

bloobird0

I still would want to see it for myself. The DX5 printheads have NO LOGIC on their circuit boards. Only a few resistors.

The only thing that could cause that would be a problem with the head, something in the printers firmware that is detecting a head with a specific resistance level, or something wrong with the printer, or Epson has added some sort of a logic chip to the board on the top of the printheads that somehow detects the printer as not being an Epson branded machine. I just do not see that last option as very likely.

it could also be a different PCB version, eg some open/short wiring that you don't see. In this way, it would not be possible to just swap some resistors.

I know something isn't right here bc the vj1324,1624 use different heads than the vj1638 IDK were GRS got that info but just thought I would make it right!

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I know something isn't right here bc the vj1324,1624 use different heads than the vj1638 IDK were GRS got that info but just thought I would make it right!

I have just checked with Mutoh on this and the actual head itself is the same part in the printers I originally mentioned. The only difference between the 1638 and the 1324/1624 is the mounting bracket used to mount it to the carriage but the actual head is identical.

Masseria

As I know Roland is not using DX5, they are using DX6 for their new printer, DX5 printhead for Mimaki, Mutoh still producted by Epson.
But DX5 that all China printer company are using now will not able to use anymore. because China printer company using DX5 from Epson desktop printer, Epson know that and they changed some thing new DX5 print head, if install that new DX5 for Desktop printer to large format printer it can only print 60cm wide.
So if you use Mimaki, Mutoh, you have to buy original print head form them

DX6 printhead is the worst ever made, mutoh started using this, and after several compains(world wide)i think there was something wrong in alignment, they took it out, and came back to dx5, now they are currently using DX7 printheads.

inkmed

Good to know, was going to buy Mutoh, and they are coming with DX7 printhead, do you know anything else about the versions?

ty.

Epson DX7 head is different from Mutoh DX7 head.
Epson DX7 head is F189010 head, Epson start change it months ago, new version can not work like new DX5 head.

Mutoh DX7 head is made by Epson too, but it is professional Mutoh head OEM from Epson, it is original Mutoh head.

At prsent, from Mutoh DX6 head printers, can only use original Mutoh head. There is no compatible Epson head for them.

Adam Yang from Inkmed