• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DYE/SOLVENT conversion to UV inks?

slimlin

Hi

Anybody know anything about if its possible to change a dye or solvent printer to run with UV inks?

Which printheads etc.? can i use the same printheads, and in general what would i need to change if i wanted to try, or do a conversion?.

reason for my question is that i am soooo tired from the fact that there is no cheap or economically viable alternative to a $ 100k min. printer in this segment, and i am, sure that the prices only go one way :frustrated:.

Roland just adjusted prices up again (2nd time) within a few months, and i am sure that all will follow that example.

I dont want to make a disscusion about right or wrong, just would like to discuss options to make it viable for the smaller businesses to get into the UV business aswell.

Hope some of you would like to contribute to that thought.

Thanks

Jakob

Checkers

The problem with converting to UV curing inks is you'll need a UV light to cure the prints. While I'm sure something can be "engineered", I doubt it can be done in a way to insure consistent exposure and a quality product.

Checkers

slimlin

I know the solution for the curring, that not so difficult, the problem is more wich printheads will work with UV ink, can i use the Epson 10000 heads? or other types, and is the UV thicker, thinner, or the same as the eco solm or dye ink?

Which heads is used on the Roland LEC 300?

Jakob

slimlin

a lot of bla bla bla

Yes , i have app. 100 4x8' 3/4 inch gatorfoamsheets lying here , and i am tired of printing to vinyl first, then applying that and then finish the sign.

I would like to be able to print directly on the sheets, to save time etc. but if i want to be able to do that, i need to finance a moonlanding first, and i need 20 times more customers than i have today, if my present customers shouldent pay 20 times more for their products in order to finance my new rocketship.

Thats the short story made long :smile:

And 100 K to 200 K is way out of my league. and not even remotely interesting.

The next thing is, that i know that somebody outthere actually did rebuild a dye machine to run with UV inks, for very small money indeed, but i guess its still a secret. and it would maybe scare a few or more, to know that its possible.

Thats why i think its quite interesting, to actually make UV printing available for the masses.

Everything is getting bigger and more expensive all the time, and look at the consequenses especially in the US right now (GM, AIG, etc. etc.taking a fall into your pocketbook)

And just take Roland as the perfect example, of a company, that actually is kicking all its small customers right in the groin, with prices and service that for many smalltimers is unpayable, these customers cant afford a new fancy printer, where 6 new printheads alone will ruin their business, and costes more than a good working used printer.

We small guys just try to make a living too, but there is no room for that in the name of greed right? Always bigger and more expensive first.

It would be soooo easy and inexpensive for Roland to keep the options open for smalltimers but...............MONEY and control.

Sorry to take your time though, maybe its valuable too :smile:.

Kind regards

Jakob

slimlin

Just to point out my point:

I would just like to go for smaller, thats actually what makes earth tick, and a rich place to be.