Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e-mails that seem to vanish with no trace

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by gabagoo, Nov 4, 2013.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    This is weird and I wonder how many times it happens.

I received 2 emails from the same person Friday after I left work, and I opened them on my I phone. I never deleted them and in fact responded.
    This morning at work I go looking for them and they are nowhere in my computer at work. Not in the deleted files either. I check the phone and they are missing from there as well and not in the trash folder.
    Not sure how this happens, but I do know that from past experience that anything in your inbox can be sucked back through the server unless you have deleted or moved it to another file....
    Am I going insane?

Tags:
  2. InstantOneMedia

InstantOneMedia Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Atlanta
    It's the NSA!!!!

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I use outlook

4. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    do you have gmail? We had a problem over the summer losing emails, and I know one of my clients was having problems, too. Things would vanish, not get sent, be gone without a trace.

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I always had that problem with Outlook but Microsoft claims it never happens no matter how many people report it. Switched over to Thunderbird....never had another problem.

6. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    If you use Thunderbird or Outlook for your gmail, yahoo, etc, go to those email accounts on your web browser and see if they are on there in a folder somewhere.

7. SignTeam.us

SignTeam.us Member

Feb 4, 2006
    USA, IL
    It happened to me a few times and emails were archived.

8. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Outlook has a problem.. a file size limit on the actual database file. After reaching about a gigabyte it starts to crap out and drop emails, and eventually just deletes itself and makes a new one.

I believe it can be fixed by simply creating new folders and organizing things since each folder creates a new database file.

9. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    outlook express and older versions of outlook had the 2gb .dbx limit

10. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Make sure you're not deleting the emails from server once downloaded to your phone..

11. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    There should be a setting on your phone in the email app that says, "Delete emails from server after opening". Uncheck that option and it should work. What is happening is that your phone is refreshing your email from the server more frequently than your computer. The phone sends a signal back to the server to delete. When your computer goes to see if there are any emails, your phone has already deleted it from the server.

12. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    this as well...I connect from my phone via IMAP so that it doesnt actually download/delete from server

13. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    That's probably what I'm thinking of. I had someone freaking out over lost emails a while back and I had to use a dbx extractor to save all her precious memories.. that were saved only in her inbox.

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Did you look on the floor, to make sure you didn't just drop them ??

15. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

oh yes the dog ate them