• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

E074 Error Y over current RH 38

CRD

I had this error previous when the head capped or the carriage moved but now it is continously.

I have read as much as possible thread for this error and gathered all solutions and possible causes.
But in the end they did not worked for me.... :-(

I checked:
1] Free movement of the carriage (cleaned races and ball bearings of the carriage) Unit sails over the carriage.........
2] No kinks in the steel belt
3] Y encoder and origin sensor are working fine
4] Pulley does not slip on the motor drive shaft
5] Spitbox is not touching
6] Clip for holding head in Home position is free
7] Timing fence (encoder strip) is perfectly clean.

I am new to solvent but waterbased inkjets is my daily job although A3 size is the MAX (Brother brand)

The RH 38 is giving Y motor over current errors and I have to narrow down the root cause to the motor preferable as this has a much lower price as a new main board.

From my knowledge for the time the machine worked and I could remember it in logical thinking.

After power off/on the when the lever is down and the head is in the middle of the machine, the head moves a certain amount to the left (this is a combination of the Y sensor counting and the state of the origin position sensor in off state) if the origin position sensor is still off it reverse direction until it find the part of the home position sensor guide rail and is activated to ON then to OFF and then to ON again. Then it starts to count from there to calculate the head capping position further to the right as it was recorded before and in the memory. In the end at the right hand side when the head is on the capping station the Y current will reach a value which would indicate the end of the right handside movement. There is a sensor but that only sense head UP or DOWN. If the Y current is below lets say between 50% nd 75 % it takes this as a regular stop.
When the Y current value is over 75% it generates a Y axis over current error?
So the parking of the head on the capping station when all works correctly is a try and error job to stay below the 75% range as this way more friction then the movement of the head carriage unit.

Now if the head is not near the capping station (middle of the machine)and the movement of the head initiate a direct Y axis over current error this would narrow down to the Y motor drawing to much current and has nothing to do with friction of the capping station, home position clips or what ever causing friction of the movement of the head.

The Y encoder and origin sensor examination works fine in maintenance mode.
So I can rule out the Y and origin sensor being faulty or the route of the cables to the main board as the counter nicely shows the hex figures of the head position and the origin switching to OFF and ON in the display.

Can you still understand my error tracking?

I have only the servic manual but not any electric drawings.

I assume the Y current is measured over a low ohmic resistor. The 24 volt DC power to the Y motor is supplied by a Transitor Bridge (left top handside of the main board) There are 2 of them on the main board one for the Y motor the other for the X motor. Still assuming :Big Laugh
The voltage measured will be fed to a comparator which will activate over current message if the set value of the comparator is lower then the value over the resistor.

If I take the 2 wire lead to the Y motor off the main board I get the same error message.

So if your an engineer too (or not) and worked before on this error have you ever replaced the motor to cure this problem or would you expect the main board to be the culprit?

:thankyou:for reading.

Thanks in advance from the other side of the ocean.

Paco Raap

P.S. In case some one need it the RH38 manual can be downloaded from here http://www.jupacreations.com/RH38_S_MANUAL.pdf

CRD

Cant edit first message.

Wrong>
If I take the 2 wire lead to the Y motor off the main board I get the same error message.

OK>
If I take the 2 wire lead to the Y motor off the main board I get the error message error 074 error Y encoder.

In the meantime I took off the Y motor and opened it.
Removed some carbon build up between the commutator parts.
Reassembled it and installed it again.
Still same error. :frustrated:
Hooked the motor on a 12 Volt lead battery and could not feel any strange rotation of the motor.
However could not measure the current it uses in idle rotation.

Paco

CRD

Got Junior up and running (for the time being).

After running over the machine again I moved the head height lever and noticed the head did not lift or lowered. Only the bracket which connects the steel belt to the head was wiggling. Hum.........
Took the PH2 screwdriver and turned the center screw that holds the bracket to head holder to a firm force. Turned on the machine and......................no error any more.
I had loosend the screw 2 days before a few turns when I changed the head thinking it was the screw for the B adjuster. Never checked any more. :Oops:

Still I feel no difference if I move the head by hand but the electronics surely do...........:cool1:

I hope this can contribute to those if they encounter the same problem.

Cheers,

Paco