• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Easier way to adhear printed vinyl (Orajet) to foamcore or gatorboard?

SIGNTIME

Yeah, one thing we have learned is that its a PAIN to set up the laminator machine! You really need to plan out 30 min or so to get it working right. Im thinking the squeegee method might even be better and faster for laminating as well instead of using the machine. We are going to have to run a couple tests

30 minutes??? you must have a diage it takes me maybe 3 minutes to switch out to a different laminate on my royal

VicoDrive

30 minutes??? you must have a diage it takes me maybe 3 minutes to switch out to a different laminate on my royal

You must be pretty good :) The biggest problem we have is getting the laminate to be flat on the roller. Our previous sign person recently left so we are having to learn a lot of this on our own for now. Even he hated setting up the laminating machine. There was obviously an easier way to place graphics on boards and laminate with a squeegee which I guess he didnt know about, maybe he also didnt know the best and easiest way to set up the laminating machine. He also didnt know about this website with tons of tips :)

As for the brand, it seems to be an "ABC Professional - 1064WFc"

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same here on our GBC Arctic Titan 165. Only takes a couple of minutes to swap rolls. Mounting, even faster, stick the board into the nip about halfway through, position the print just right, close the nip to the mounting position, flip the print on the feed side over the top, peel the backing till it's close to the nip, cut the backing off. Hit go and just make sure the print feeds in nice, one it gets to the end up the rollers back up, put the board back in the other way, close it, flip the print over the top, this side you can just remove the backing as it feeds in. Quick and easy.

VicoDrive

Just wanted to say, we got out Big Squeegee in yesterday and I just tried it out today with applying orajet art on 2 corrugated yard signs, came out perfect and fast!! Thanx everyone!

It did bring up a couple more questions though. If doing this with laminate, can it be done with the same laminate that you would use on a laminating machine or would it need to be something special?

Also we have been doing a lot of orajet cutout shapes to cutout PVC. These have to line up pretty exact. We generally do this with a spray bottle and a lot of mess and headaches to get things to come through. Im not sure if there is another squeegee idea that can work with something like this also or not. After thinking about it, this might require its own threat :)

paul luszcz

We have a $10,000 laminator and a $150 Big Squeegee. I used to laught at the BS until we bought one. It is easier, faster and better than the laminator for applying vinyl to board.

The laminator inevitably stretches the vinyl, or runs askew, particularly on long narrow (8' x 1') boards. The BS lays it down first time every time without either problem.

On foam core, apply the print to an oversize board and then trim both together. On gator, or PVC, cut board to size. Align print, which should have a .25" bleed, use squeegee then trim to board.

I am not affiliated with BS, but it is the single best, most cost effective tool we've ever bought. New employees don't believe it at first. It can't be that easy.

It is. It really is.

Learn your laminator, love your laminator, and you will be just fine. Mounting is easy. Print your print a 1/4" larger. Fold and crease about two inches back on your leading edge of your release liner (I try to do the shortest run possible (meaning I fold the 48" length of a 3x4) . Flip over print and center the print on the substrate and squeegee down leading edge.(you can add 2"" premask to your leading edge to help lay it down if needed). Set your depth on your laminator. put your roller down, then feed your substrate while peeling back the liner, use a tack cloth the get any dust straglers as you feed it through. Learning to laminate something printed roll to roll is a lot more advanced. setup is crucial, but you will get there. I learned to mount on a 48" manual 3M laminator!

AceSignsOnline

You must be pretty good :) The biggest problem we have is getting the laminate to be flat on the roller. Our previous sign person recently left so we are having to learn a lot of this on our own for now. Even he hated setting up the laminating machine. There was obviously an easier way to place graphics on boards and laminate with a squeegee which I guess he didnt know about, maybe he also didnt know the best and easiest way to set up the laminating machine. He also didnt know about this website with tons of tips :)

As for the brand, it seems to be an "ABC Professional - 1064WFc"

I always found that the best way to tighten material on the rollers is to open your rollers all the way, pull your laminate between the rollers all the way through, and tack it to the back of the laminator. Once you lower your top roller, it should have enough pressure pulling on the material so that wrinkles are a non-issue. Of course, you also need to be sure that the tension on your feed roll is set pretty high. If you were speaking in regards to a different issue, then I apologize in advance.

Personally, I have yet to try the Big Squeegee, although the time will likely come sooner or later. But for now, I don't know what I'd do without my Seal 62 Base. It literally cuts our production time in half for most vinyl jobs, and I run anything through the rollers from scooterboard to acrylic to plywood.