• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Easy scratches on Grimco Pop Up banner display film using L25500

NextDaySign

Hey all - we recently switch to the Grimco pop up display film and we've found that ink scratches very easily when we run it through our L25500 printer (see attached image). We've been told by other print shops that this stuff is perfectly useable and was told to increase the airflow a bit to help with drying but so far nothing has helped. The attached image shows the effect of lightly running one's fingernails over a print. We never had this issue with previous film or any of the other materials. Any suggestions?
attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20160104_14_47_13_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20160104_14_47_13_Pro[1].jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 173

Blackfire

Time

Hey all - we recently switch to the Grimco pop up display film and we've found that ink scratches very easily when we run it through our L25500 printer (see attached image). We've been told by other print shops that this stuff is perfectly useable and was told to increase the airflow a bit to help with drying but so far nothing has helped. The attached image shows the effect of lightly running one's fingernails over a print. We never had this issue with previous film or any of the other materials. Any suggestions?
attachment.php
What I found best is to unroll the graphic and let set overnight for some reason it need more curing I have used 2 differant HP latex printers the 25500 and the 310 the 310 is better at it but I still use this practice if possiable

greysquirrel

Yep.
This is why the product evolved to the new 300 series...latex optimizer becomes a scratch resistant coating to your print...

I would try a different media...

only other place to look is how much ink are you using to create that black...a designer right out of school will build a black with 100%c,m,y, and k....

30m
30y
30c

best black on any printer

greysquirrel

Is the media on HP's approved list? There should be a profile downloadable from HP's website if so...I'd kick this one back to your reseller...have them get it to work for you...they should support what they sell...

JERHEMI

This material doesn't like latex...

I'm running a L360 and just about pulled all my hair out trying to get Grimco's pop up, Advantage's roll up and whatever Sihls material is to cure but luck. I tried them all and had all their tech supports try and help me troubleshoot profiles. The latex optimizer prints a sheen on top that when scratched shows the glossy print underneath. Tried adjusting the optimizer with no luck as well. Adjusted the heat all the way up in increments and tried it all the way down with no luck as well. After sitting for 24 hours it is a little more difficult to scratch, but it still is possible. The quality of the print is wonderful, but it's dissapointing you can scratch that sheen off and see gloss underneath it. If it printed and cured as nice as regular vinyl I would be a happy camper.

Hotspur

We laminate all of our retractable films for that reason. They all seem susceptible to scratching with latex inks.

No - you just need to find the right one.

Not sure if you can get this where you are - Neschen Solvoprint Crystal Panel 300 - but it does not scratch at all with v3 latex ink using sharp objects or over many hundred pull-up applications and its very good with v1 & v2 latex inks also.

It has a micro crystal surface that helps the ink stay away from the top and so does not have these issues.

Maybe there is a similar product local to you?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yeah at 3x the cost of a laminated pop-up material.

Seriously, you can get the HP everyday polypropylene and laminate with a textured matte laminate for less than the neschen, intellicoat, etc topline films and it works and lasts just as long.