• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco solvent compatible hp?

maynemag

hello all, I am new to this forum and would like to issue a question to all the HP users out there. I am wondering if any HP wide format printers can use eco solvent inks. I am looking into starting a small banner/vehicle wrap shop and would like to invest in a good outdoor printer without having to buy a laminator. I see dozens of HP printers on ebay for dirt cheap that seem like a good deal but I don't see where anyone is using them for vehicle wraps or outdoor banners. If anyone is using one could you tell me the type of inks and what model HP you are using thanks.

signage

Welcome to the forums from PA...

1st off if you are going to be doing vehicle wraps you are going to need to laminate the vinyl for two reasons! first durability second for removal purposes!

astro8

Short answer...no, HP's use thermal heads and hence aqueous (waterbased) ink (unsuitable for vehicle wraps etc) ...the new latex ink hp's are thermal as well but are suitable for vehicle wraps etc, but just as, or more expensive than solvent printers.

You need a piezo head machine to run solvents.

The hp 8000,9000,10000 do use solvent inks but they are ''really' Seiko piezo head machines...but aren't cheap on ebay.

HP 5000/5500's as you are probably thinking about are more suited for posters, indoor graphics/ short term outdoor etc.