• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco-Solvent Ink Material for Epson 80600

Cee84

Hi everyone!

Newbie Here :)

I'm currently working as a prototype technician at a floral business and am in need of advice in choosing print material. We have two large format printers in house, an 36" Roland UV printer and a new Epson S80600. I've been tasked with setting up the Epson and am in need of a material that will be a sustainable option in comparison to the material used by the Roland UV.

That UV machine uses a variety of clear, pearlescent, and matte BOPP (as well as kraft paper) while the Epson is currently only running a clear-poly glossy film from Chromaspec (Jetcomp films). 100' of this clear-poly material is costing over $1000. The BOPP used for the UV comes from china and the cost is extremely low.

The OG printer I work alongside with is opposed to the new machine and tells me nothing else works on it, I find that hard to believe so I am coming here for advice/opinions.

The main criteria for a new substrate is affordability, and has to be approx 1.6 mil clear film. Down the road I would need to find suitable kraft, matte, and pearlized material too.

I have tried reaching out to our vendor but he only steers me to his Jetcomp films. Is there any other material that will work for the Epson with eco-solvent ink? Can someone point me in the right direction here? :D My background is in graphic design and this is a new career path I am starting. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Our S80600 prints on literally everything we've thrown into it so far. It barely needs profiling between media types but we still do an individual one as we start to stock it.
But for one-offs on odd materials it'll print beautifully using a profile from a similar media type.
Try order some samples from other suppliers in your area and give them a go.
You could try General Formulations 231 if you need a clear poly for probably $300-ish for a 54" x 150' roll (only guessing price as ours in AU are around $450/roll).

Cee84

Thanks guys! I think I need to buck up and test some of the current selections I have in-house. They were tested at some point before my arrival and the results were not the best, apparently the ink didn't dry. When I was brought in and finally got to reviewing the settings, I found that it was using 300% white ink on the prints. I calibrated by eye and have been getting decent output with only 100% white and CMYK. I suspect the reason it wan't drying was bc of the white setting being so high.

I'm going to look up "General Formulations 231". Thanks!

jfiscus

Rap Master
You might want to look for other local vendors. Tell them you are looking for non-vinyl substrates and see what all brands they carry (if their websites don't list that).
Check out those manufacturers and what all they make/sell, many vendors are not aware or knowledgeable about everything they sell, as most people only buy a few product lines.

unclebun

After looking up Chromaspec, I think you're looking for non-adhesive films, correct?
It's going to be harder to find those, since the Epson is a sign printer and the vast majority of products advertised to print with it will be pressure sensitive adhesive vinyl (and a few PSA non-vinyls). There are banner materials, poster papers, and static cling materials which are not adhesive.