• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Economical Posters

gregwallace

We have a colowave poster printer. Its an awesome printer for short run poster printing so long as toner based ink is acceptable. $15 a piece for short runs with print ready files sounds about right to me. Just ran 300 18x24. Took about two hours unattended to print and maybe 10 minutes to cut and package.

CanuckSigns

Never offer a custom product as a loss leader, loss leaders are a retail world item, sign shops do not operate in the retail world.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Never offer a custom product as a loss leader, loss leaders are a retail world item, sign shops do not operate in the retail world.

Would you mind explaining those statements ??

The first one is up in the air, but the second part just....... well, I don't understand.

CanuckSigns

Would you mind explaining those statements ??

The first one is up in the air, but the second part just....... well, I don't understand.

A retail operation is one that buys a finished product and adds a markup to resell, but does not add any value to the product or change the product in any real way, such as a grocery store, Walmart, clothing store etc.
a retail operation often uses loss leaders to get people in the store in hopes that they buy other items that are not reduced in price.

The reason we shouldn't do this in a custom manufacturing business such as a sign shop is that our business model is completely different, we buy raw materials (or semi-raw anyways, I don't make my own vinyl) and use those materials to make a finished product. One of the aspects of custom manufacturing is that every job is a bit different, even 2 jobs for posters may have slightly different specs that lead to different pricing.

this is not to say that you shouldn't offer quantity discounts on larger jobs, the economies of scale allow you to do that and still be profitable, however selling 3 posters at a loss makes absolutely no sense.

phototec

A retail operation is one that buys a finished product and adds a markup to resell, but does not add any value to the product or change the product in any real way, such as a grocery store, Walmart, clothing store etc.
a retail operation often uses loss leaders to get people in the store in hopes that they buy other items that are not reduced in price.

The reason we shouldn't do this in a custom manufacturing business such as a sign shop is that our business model is completely different, we buy raw materials (or semi-raw anyways, I don't make my own vinyl) and use those materials to make a finished product. One of the aspects of custom manufacturing is that every job is a bit different, even 2 jobs for posters may have slightly different specs that lead to different pricing.

this is not to say that you shouldn't offer quantity discounts on larger jobs, the economies of scale allow you to do that and still be profitable, however selling 3 posters at a loss makes absolutely no sense.

:goodpost:

I hope Gino understands now about how (WE) sign shops are different from retail operations!