• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ecosol in any printer?

Small Stuff

Hi all, I am new here and have a couple questions about solvents.

I do some small stuff generally under 12" and yields me from investing 15 to 20 k in a large format printer.

I realize that the ecosol solvents are activated by heat, and being a bit of an old school Frankensteiner from days past, my question is:

Q: Can I buy a small high quality ink jet printer around the 1k to 3k range and run the solvent through it instead of regular ink. (I could then set up a heat set station to cure it in as it comes off the printer.)

If yes, what can you tell me about doing small?
If no, please describe why so I have a better understanding.

Thank you .)

You would almost certainly succeed in destrying the ink train in the printer (hoses, printheads etc) in short order, as these components were not intended to transport solvent inksets.

Bob

Flame

You'd instantly destroy the machine. A printer is built to take one kind of inks... and it won't like others. Especially a non solvent printer accepting solvents.

Rooster

Sure it'll work, just stick the whole machine in the oven at 275 degrees when you do it so the ink will adhere. We do it here all the time. It works great!

ChicagoGraphics

If your going to use solvent inks in a desk top printer, make sure you do 2 things.
1- make sure It's a HP
2- make a Utube video of it........

Small Stuff

LoL, some of you are too funny:ROFLMAO:

I am awaiting to see the results of an older model Roland. I think it's a ESX 500. $5K is the mark on it. Is that a good price? Are parts still available?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Works fine on my old Epson CX6400. :thumb:
Cut the material down to size and heat it up with a blow dryer as it goes through the printer. Only thing is it won't print crop marks...:cool:

:Cool 2: