• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge 1 and gs plotter

I have an opportunity to purchase this equipment at a very good price. It also has the Omega 1.56 software. I have some questions about this setup. First off is it user friendly. Hard to learn the software and printer settings. Would I be better off using my Flexi? Also I don't have any experience with printing. I do have years of experience using different plotters. I did use an ancient gerber plotter when I first got into signs. Would this machine be good for short run decals, stickers, etc. I assume it would be a much better machine than a roland pc12,60,600. I go to car shows,flea markets,fairs, etc. Would this printer be good for this type of work. I make a killing with one color stickers at these places and think full color would really do well. This printer has a new print head, and has been gone over by a tech. and the seller has the paperwork to prove it.
Sorry I'm rambling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I purchased my Edge in 1998 with no knowledge of color printing but with 15 years experience at vinyl cutting and at using various Gerber systems. I also had a few years of experience at screen printing which has many similarities in how to approach setting up Edge jobs.

In hindsight, I would say that it was 1) one of the most difficult learning curves I have ever put myself through and 2) I really can't explain why because it really isn't that difficult. There are lots of details and idiosyncrasies to learn but the way the Gerber is setup it has been made as easy as possible to make the transition.

If you do make this move, I would recommend getting and learning the Omega software. It has been designed to setup jobs and run an Edge. Flexi, which I also have, takes a very different approach to this and is nowhere as intuitive when it comes to Edge jobs.

The Edge is great for short to medium runs of smaller prints and, because it utilizes both process and spot colors, is the ideal system for decal production.