• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge 2 colors way off, help!

Marlene

I have a four color process job that I printed last year and did another this year. I'm running an Edge2, the process foils are all Gerber foils. I used the exact file used for the first job to print the second job. the one on the top of the photo is the one that is correct and the bottom one is the one I just printed that has all the colors off. the sunset has gone from shades of orange to tan and yellow and is much lighter overall in color. the two are totally different colors. anyone know wht might have happened????

Attachments

• messed up colors.jpg
    messed up colors.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 121

GB2

Old Member
One of the strengths of the Gerber Edge is it's consistency in color, are you sure you used the foils in the correct order and didn't put the yellow in when you were supposed to put the magenta in?

Marlene

yep, colors in correct order. I always use Gerber foils so I know they are the same foil colors that I used to print the first set last year. I had another job where I printed Pantone 574C green and it looked way off too.

Billct2

If it's an image file for that background I would try reimporting the image from the original file and see if that fixes it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Is there a .PRM of the original file? That will call up the separations created from an earlier run as well as what profile was used. If you are printing as selection from a larger saved job or if anything has changed such as the file name then the PRM will be ignored and new separations will be created ... thus changing the look of the job.

Marlene

I think I've solved the problem. I bought some Duracoat process foils as they were re-fillable. Duracoat isn't all that so when the foils got low, I replaced with Gerber process foils. on a hunch, I pulled out the Duracoat and could see the image of the fence so it was the last job they printed. Duracoat cyan is not cyan, it is a tealish blue. Duracoat magenta isn't magenta, it is different shade of pink, same with the yellow. anyone who thinks all foils are created equal, take it from me, they are not! that was my one adventure into another brand and wouldn't you know it, I get nailed on a repeat customer

signage

Marlene now you are saying that the bottom is printed correctly and in your first post you said the top was printed correctly. So which one is correct?

Do you now like the bottom print and before you liked the top print:help

J Hill Designs

I think she is merely pointing out to others that CMYK duracoat is quite different than gerbers. top one is duracoat, bottom is gerber. top is what client want, and what she expected out of the machine

Tony Teveris

To save myself from this type of stuff I normally save the PLT (embed images), PRM and a SPL file and make notes in the SPL file. Taking all three files and make a zip.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think I've solved the problem. I bought some Duracoat process foils as they were re-fillable. Duracoat isn't all that so when the foils got low, I replaced with Gerber process foils. on a hunch, I pulled out the Duracoat and could see the image of the fence so it was the last job they printed. Duracoat cyan is not cyan, it is a tealish blue. Duracoat magenta isn't magenta, it is different shade of pink, same with the yellow. anyone who thinks all foils are created equal, take it from me, they are not! that was my one adventure into another brand and wouldn't you know it, I get nailed on a repeat customer

We ran some extensive print testing a number of years ago using Gerber, Duracoat and Zeronine process foils and concluded that the Duracoat foils were superior by a slight margin over Gerber and by a large margin over Zeronine. Flesh tones were better as was edge quality. We switched and never looked back. A superior product for a lot less money than Gerber.

One would also note that both Gerber and Zeronine have since released new lines of process foils while Duracoat has not ... which might be considered before touting Gerber process foils as superior. Evidently both Gerber and Zeronine saw problems with their process colors.

Marlene

Marlene now you are saying that the bottom is printed correctly and in your first post you said the top was printed correctly. So which one is correct?

the top one was printed first, last year. the colors are brighter and the sunset is orange/yellow

the second one was printed on Friday. the sunset now is brown/tan and the colors are horrid. the top was printed with Duracoat, the bottom with Gerber.

the reason I don't like Duracoat is the foils get screwed up and don't wind evenly so I get ridges or it just stops working all together. when I re-fill them, they really work like crap. the process color prints look nicer than the Gerber brown sunset. if the guy hadn't been a repeat, I wouldn't have had the two to compare toeach other.

since posting this, I also have developed a big streak that runs thru the print. I've contacted Gerber service and am working on that. the off colors might be part of the issue or it might be the difference between the foils..not sure yet but I think the color issue is solved

Billct2

I prefer Duracaot for process prints, and use a few others that are a match for Gerber (Black, white, tomato red) but built so many jobs on Gerber spot colors that I couldn't switch completely.

Caitlin

Interesting... I don't have any Duracoat foils, my main suppliers here don't carry it.

I used to use zeronine process foils in my Edge 1 and when we got our FX we got some gerber process foils with it. The first full colour job I ran was a rendering of a house in a series I had done around 10 of before on the Edge 1 and the colours were way off and the image came out much darker than before. I managed to import the file in a different format and change some of the colour settings in composer, but my first impression was that I didn't like the gerber foils as much. thankfully, I haven't had that problem again since and the process foils have been just fine since, not to mention the FX at 600 dpi prints much nicer!