• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge 2 Keypad Fix

mdleisure

Hi Guys I had a problem that I thought I would share.

A few of my keys on the keypad were being very temperamental. The Skew forward, foil take up, reset and setup buttons were fine but Online, Home, Skew backwards would not always work.

I assumed it was a faulty keypad somewhere and a replacement was expensive so I thought I would have a look.

It turns out that the keypad is split into 2 separate chains and the feed to one side had slightly corroded on the ribbon cable. You need an ohmeter to check this.

The problem is that the ribbon cable is printed and there was a slight break in the one feed line ( the feeds are the ribbon with only 2 tracks on it)

Usually I would just solder in a link to bridge the corroded part but as its a printed ribbon you cannot solder onto it. it would just melt. if you even scratch the ribbon you will loose the track completely.

The trick I used was to put a needle hole through the track, place a thin gauge wire through the hole (i used a single alarm cable from a multi core ). I then fluxed the bare cable and soldered it. This was enough to hold the cable onto the track. The other end I then soldered onto the connector and reassembled after checking it again with the ohmeter.

it worked perfectly and I now have online at the push of a button. Edge users just think how bad it is if your online button is dodgy lol.

I am not saying that this will fix all keypad errors but if half your keys work and the other half dont then I would say you have the same problem. Ideally you need to replace the keypad but if you cant afford it and need a quick fix then this will work. Not advisable if you are not used to messing around.

The edge strips down quite easy for access. If anyone needs a step by step let me know.

Hope this helps some other users

Matt