• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Alignment Problem

OK trying to print a 2 color decal. Colors print fine just 2 color is off by 1/16". It starts 1/16" to late. Using 3M Scotchcal 50 White and zeronine color cartridges. Have tried changing print setting from normal to lighter to light. Have vinyl set as 220 Vinyl. Using Edge 1 looking for suggestions.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This is due to different lengths of foil remaining on each of the foils and is a design flaw in the Gerber Edge. You can get better results if you turn off the "Conserve Foil" checkbox in the 123 setting in GSP Plot. There is also a utility program that was added in Omega 4 and improved in Omega 5 that allows you to offset the colors to the right or left on the X-axis to get them to match up. You access it by first saving the job as a .SPL file in GSPPlot with "View" checked. Next you will see the Spool window. Click on File > Adjust and you will see this window which allows you to adjust each color's print position.

Edge foil adjust.jpg

If you're running an earlier version of Omega, your remedy is to manually select and move a color in Composer.

iSign

This is due to different lengths of foil remaining on each of the foils and is a design flaw in the Gerber Edge.

in addition to the more comprehensive solutions Fred indicated, you may wish to compare results by trying some other foils. Let's just say it was black & white colors, printed on clear... and the black foil was a brand new 50yard foil, with nothing used yet, but the white foil was a 50yard foil that is almost all used up. The different diameter of remaining foil on the roll on the in-feed side of the cartridge, results in the slight difference in where that black print & the white print land on the media. So, you could swap the nearly consumed white foil, with another color that is new, and confirm if that resolves it. Then of course if it does, using a new roll of white would also be a solution for the issue.

Bill's idea I suppose would have varying degrees of potential, relative to how complex the artwork is, or how tight the registration is, or just exactly where, how, & how often the two colors meet. Maybe you could post a pic of that.

Question

Ok I'm going to change the conserve foil off and try to foils that are closer to same usage. I have a question for you guys I had the original edge back in 1994 and we used nothing but gerber cartridges and never had this problem that I remember. Then I got out of the business for awhile I got this edge about a year ago don't use that much but starting to use it more. Is this problem typical of the zeronine refills or does it not matter which cartridge you use????

So is this a zeronine cartridge thing or even gerber cartridges. Like I said I had an original Edge in 1994 don't remember this being an issue????

Thanks Fred I appreciate the input. I bought the edge with all these cartridges and they were fans of the zeronine and I just looked and the black was a 100yd refill brand new. I have always been fan of the Gerber cartridges never had issues but I guess it came down to money for them. Do you have an opinion on using Gerber or Zeronine? Like I said I haven't used an edge since 1998 and I know things have changed since then.

Brian46

Same issue, excellent fix

Just ran into the same problem. Adjusted the color settings as Fred recommended and it printed perfectly. Thank you for the assistance this was very helpful