Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Edge Cap & 3MM ACM

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by AVS, Nov 1, 2018.

1. AVS

AVS New Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Western Mass
    Hello All,

I am completely new to new to making signs, I've only done vehicle graphics up to this point. I want to give my 3mm ACM sign a finished edge. So I bought some edge cap but they only had 1/4 inch. Am I missing something? It doesn't want to fit snug (obviously) on the 3MM. Am I supposed to be using a thicker panel or laying the ACM on another sheet of material? I know the corners should be mitered and the material mounted with silicone, but can't find any more info.

This is for a 30 x 76 inch flat sign that will be face mounted flat onto a brick wall.

Appreciate any and all advice!

Tags:
  2. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Try Grimco. We get both 3mm and 6mm edge cap in both white and black. However, our Grimco branch is in Springfield, Illinois, the same town where Nudo products are made and they might just order the edge cap from Nudo. It wouldn't hurt to call them and see if your local branch carries both sizes.

3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    another option is to edge wrap with the vinyl.
    This allows the background color of the design to be the edge of the sign.
    we like to place 3+ inches per side onto the backside for good adhesion

4. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I wouldn't trim it. It's an economy material and should be sold as such.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Do you get edge lifting on the plastic?

6. AVS

AVS New Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Western Mass
    This is a good idea. The only thing is I'm using factory painted black ACM with cut vinyl for the graphic, but I suppose I could use some black vinyl around the edge to finish it. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I second the wrapping vinyl around the edges.

8. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    In the beginning, they were some. once we changed, all is going well
    • use tension to make sure a good tight fit when wrapping around to the back side
    • Post heat and use a texture roller for conforming to the edge

what type of ACM are you using?
    if the panels are coming painted black and the core is already black, what are you wanting to achieve with the edge?

9. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Why would you want edge caps on ACM? Bare edges on ACM look 100x better than any edge cap I've ever seen. If you don't have a clean cut, deburr/file/sand it, or print an extra couple inches of bleed to wrap around.

If you're worried that clients might think the edge of ACM doesn't look nice, you're probably wrong. It's one of the most common materials used for art prints in galleries, and they don't wrap the edges.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

It's not like someone wants to put gold leaf on an ACM sign panel. In my opinion, trim cap is an economy material as well and goes hand in hand with an ACM sign. Why not frame a sign in and dress it up some if it seems appropriate? I don't think trim cap looks bad at all. It's a modest upgrade at merely a few bucks per linear foot. To each their own, I guess.

Bare edges look 100 times better? Come on now........really? Wrapped around edges are fine, too. I do wrapped edges often, but I have no squabbles if a customer wants trim capped edges. Personally, I look at it as an economical upgrade, but everybody has their own opinion.

11. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Wrapped around vinyl looks decent but even that I dont see why. It overly complicates an otherwise easy, cheap job and on 3mm adds little to nothing. Even 6mm looks fine with a bare edge.
    But edge trim? It's just tacky. Youre covering the edge by adding an ugly lip on the face. Seems a bit counterproductive to me.