• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Edge Cap & 3MM ACM

AVS

Hello All,

I am completely new to new to making signs, I've only done vehicle graphics up to this point. I want to give my 3mm ACM sign a finished edge. So I bought some edge cap but they only had 1/4 inch. Am I missing something? It doesn't want to fit snug (obviously) on the 3MM. Am I supposed to be using a thicker panel or laying the ACM on another sheet of material? I know the corners should be mitered and the material mounted with silicone, but can't find any more info.

This is for a 30 x 76 inch flat sign that will be face mounted flat onto a brick wall.

Appreciate any and all advice!

Try Grimco. We get both 3mm and 6mm edge cap in both white and black. However, our Grimco branch is in Springfield, Illinois, the same town where Nudo products are made and they might just order the edge cap from Nudo. It wouldn't hurt to call them and see if your local branch carries both sizes.

2B

another option is to edge wrap with the vinyl.
This allows the background color of the design to be the edge of the sign.
we like to place 3+ inches per side onto the backside for good adhesion

AVS

This is a good idea. The only thing is I'm using factory painted black ACM with cut vinyl for the graphic, but I suppose I could use some black vinyl around the edge to finish it. Thanks for the suggestion!

another option is to edge wrap with the vinyl.
This allows the background color of the design to be the edge of the sign.
we like to place 3+ inches per side onto the backside for good adhesion

2B

Do you get edge lifting on the plastic?

In the beginning, they were some. once we changed, all is going well
  • use tension to make sure a good tight fit when wrapping around to the back side
  • Post heat and use a texture roller for conforming to the edge

This is a good idea. The only thing is I'm using factory painted black ACM with cut vinyl for the graphic, but I suppose I could use some black vinyl around the edge to finish it. Thanks for the suggestion!
what type of ACM are you using?
if the panels are coming painted black and the core is already black, what are you wanting to achieve with the edge?

shoresigns

Why would you want edge caps on ACM? Bare edges on ACM look 100x better than any edge cap I've ever seen. If you don't have a clean cut, deburr/file/sand it, or print an extra couple inches of bleed to wrap around.

If you're worried that clients might think the edge of ACM doesn't look nice, you're probably wrong. It's one of the most common materials used for art prints in galleries, and they don't wrap the edges.

I wouldn't trim it. It's an economy material and should be sold as such.

It's not like someone wants to put gold leaf on an ACM sign panel. In my opinion, trim cap is an economy material as well and goes hand in hand with an ACM sign. Why not frame a sign in and dress it up some if it seems appropriate? I don't think trim cap looks bad at all. It's a modest upgrade at merely a few bucks per linear foot. To each their own, I guess.

Why would you want edge caps on ACM? Bare edges on ACM look 100x better than any edge cap I've ever seen. If you don't have a clean cut, deburr/file/sand it, or print an extra couple inches of bleed to wrap around.

If you're worried that clients might think the edge of ACM doesn't look nice, you're probably wrong. It's one of the most common materials used for art prints in galleries, and they don't wrap the edges.

Bare edges look 100 times better? Come on now........really? Wrapped around edges are fine, too. I do wrapped edges often, but I have no squabbles if a customer wants trim capped edges. Personally, I look at it as an economical upgrade, but everybody has their own opinion.

equippaint

It's not like someone wants to put gold leaf on an ACM sign panel. In my opinion, trim cap is an economy material as well and goes hand in hand with an ACM sign. Why not frame a sign in and dress it up some if it seems appropriate? I don't think trim cap looks bad at all. It's a modest upgrade at merely a few bucks per linear foot. To each their own, I guess.

Bare edges look 100 times better? Come on now........really? Wrapped around edges are fine, too. I do wrapped edges often, but I have no squabbles if a customer wants trim capped edges. Personally, I look at it as an economical upgrade, but everybody has their own opinion.
Wrapped around vinyl looks decent but even that I dont see why. It overly complicates an otherwise easy, cheap job and on 3mm adds little to nothing. Even 6mm looks fine with a bare edge.
But edge trim? It's just tacky. Youre covering the edge by adding an ugly lip on the face. Seems a bit counterproductive to me.