• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge foils wrinkle

Tel

Can anyone give me some advice, our edge is leaving random lines, the foils are wrinkling, I have tried lowering the setting in print options to lighter from normal this worked for a while but now it is happening again, sometimes the foil is holed right through, the dancer bars are fine and the foil squeege, I have even tried masking tape on top of the foil squeege but if anything this made it worse. This edge is a factory reconditioned edge and not very old.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
how large of an area are you printing?? i've found this happens when you're printing a small area (2-3" of foil)...what ive found works well. it set your file in composer for printing, then add a 1" block across the top of the print set around the 10-11" mark....this will make the foil print with equal tension so you don't get the wrinkle lines.....

gabagoo

I have had this too in the past. Very frustrating as you watch $$$$$ being thrown away. What brand of foil is it? I found that the Duracoat brand did that to me at times and I never did figure out why it happened. I figured they were rolled wrong out of the factory, maybe to high a tension.

omgsideburns

hell i have it happen with gerber foils sometimes.

clean your head, clean your idler bars, clean your squeegies, make sure your roller wheels don't have a bunch of glue around them. all of this can account for weird feed issues.

also check that the sprockets on the foil cartridge are pushed all the way down, i've had them pop up and make the foil load funny before.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The typical reason for this is a failure of the foil advancing properly. Look to see if the cartridge is free to advance properly and that the plastic sprocket has all four pins intact. If it happens with more than one foil color, you may have a clutch slipping in the foil drive.

Does this happen with more than one foil?

Have you introduced any lubricants, cleaners or foreign materials into the areas of the foil drive clutches?

rudeez

Got the same problem here with my gerber edge2. makes two lines. one in the bottom and one in the top in a 45 degree angle pretty much, and from what it seems it's every time the foil goes arround wich means it's with a space of like 10cm. tried everytrhing aswell and need to sort it..

Tel

Thanks for the feedback guys but it's still doing it. It does it with any foil and cartridge even gerbers and it sometimes seems to burn through the foil. The head, dancer bars and squeege are all clean always done with nothing but the gerber wipes, have head problems before with an older edge and understand how important cleanliness is with them. The cartidge appears to be fine the sprockets are good no bits missing. I thought maybe it was a heat issue so in the plot settings I went down from normal to light this appears to have helped in the fact that the foil is not holed but the wrinkles are still there, so went lighter but that made no difference.
Regards
Tel

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for the feedback guys but it's still doing it. It does it with any foil and cartridge even gerbers and it sometimes seems to burn through the foil. The head, dancer bars and squeege are all clean always done with nothing but the gerber wipes, have head problems before with an older edge and understand how important cleanliness is with them. The cartidge appears to be fine the sprockets are good no bits missing. I thought maybe it was a heat issue so in the plot settings I went down from normal to light this appears to have helped in the fact that the foil is not holed but the wrinkles are still there, so went lighter but that made no difference.
Regards
Tel

That would seem to leave the clutch or the foil drive mechanism.

Tel

Thanks Fred, This is a factory reconditioned edge only about 2 month old and the supplier has been informed of the problem we are now waiting for the technician who is on vacation. I will inform you of the outcome.
Thanks again
Tel

Ken Sankey

We had some of the same symptoms your describing with 2 new Edge FX. We use Gerber foils and material, our distributor exchanged out the foils for new ones. Having a large stock of foils, we went through and tried numerous different foils and found a just a couple that wouldn't cooperate, whether it was set to Edge1, higher heat setting. That was a summer ago already, no problems since. Best of luck.:smile:

qkayani

Customer Support Tech
Clutch or foil motor

Hi Tel,

If Print head, dancing bars and squgee are cleaned and if this is happining in more then 2 or 3 foils then looks like you have clutch or foil motor problem .Regards,

Qaiser.
:Australia

Bob Gilliland

While in agreement with Fred and Qaiser (clutch/drive related) another possibility, far reaching I might add, is a bent frame. I have seen “many a weird” problems when the frame gets “tweaked”.

There are various degrees of “factory reconditioned” so not 100% what that actually means. Checking the frame is not always something that comes to the forefront in troubleshooting.

Gaugeco Inc.

We have had issues with the gerber white before, this is a simple fix. The roll of white is not aligned with the intake roll. Cut it off, pull off all the used white and re-tape it. This works for us every time!