• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge FX Fatal Error 630

bjones

Hi, not sure anyone really reads this forum anymore but i've experienced this error :(

The error is related to the loading of the foil I think, the motor sound it used to make as it would set the foil doesn't really happen, the cartridge lowers and makes a popping sound as something lets loose inside ( I assume it's the cover of the cartridge giving way).

Has anyone run into this before? know what to consider replacing?

bjones

Just to follow up for everyone's future help.. the problem is intermittent, but gerber tech support was great and talked me through the diagnostics to determine I have an opto for the down position of the foil head going flaky. So, it's just a 4.00 part that will hopefully have me back where I should be in a day or so.

SlikGRFX

Time to resurrect this thread.

Ran a job this morning and my Edge FX stopped before printing the first foil, giving me the 'fatal error 630'. The when I rebooted it, it gave me the 'Homing Error'.
The printer is clean and well lubed and the problem happens with all foils.
It seems that it's not recognising the position of the print head.

bjones - Did you manage to fix the problem? What part did you need?

Any info is much appreciated.

FunkotronXL

Is the printhead making that horribly loud grinding/squealing noise when it actuates foil up and down?

If it is noisily failing to make it all the way up and down, and then prompts the error code, you could be having a Z-axis homing error. Get that noise resolved quickly as it will burn out the Z-axis motor and be a costly repair.

If there are no abnormally loud noises, you may just have a problematic optical sensor similar to what I'm assuming bjones ran into. Take some compressed air and blast any/all sensors to start, should be three easily visible when you open the cover.

SlikGRFX

Thanks for the reply.

The cartridge and head move up and down smoothly with no noise. I get the 'homing error' when I first power on the printer. With the cover off you can see that the Z motor screw moves all the way to its upper limit without stopping, then the nut bottoms out against the motor and it makes the buzzing noise as the motor tries to keep turning but can't.

I assumed it was a sensor too. So I cleaned the three I can see with the cover up (2 x cartridge sensors and the Z axis sensor) but it made no difference. The sensors seem to be the same part so I swapped one of the cartridge sensors with the Z axis sensor and again, it made no difference.

Are there any other sensors that affect the homing procedure?
Any ideas what else I should troubleshoot?

Thanks again!

SlikGRFX

UPDATE - problem solved!

So over the weekend I did some trouble shooting. I managed to get the printer started with the cover in the up position.
Once the printer is running and in OFFLINE mode you can press F2 and F4 together to enter the manufacturers menu. Then press F2 to enter the sensor status screen. This allows you to test each sensor. You can use a piece of card in between the optical sensors and the output should change between 0 and 1.

Gerber_Edge_FX_Sensor.jpg

With the cover up, the Z sensor was reading 1. With the cover down it was reading 0. This led me to believe it was an issue with the wire harness. I grabbed the main harness at the back of the printer, moved it around and the readout flickered between 1 and 0. Problem found. I removed the front cover then checked the continuity of the 3 wires from the Z sensor to the circuit board and the brown wire showed no continuity.

The sensor wires are 26 AWG and luckily I had a piece of CAT 5 cable that also uses 26 AWG wire. I pried the wire out of the Z sensor and replaced it with a new wire, running it down next to the original harness. I then cut and spliced this into the wire harness above the main circuit board where there is good access to the wires. I used a 3M Scotchlok to join the new wire with the original wire that runs down to the connector block on the circuit board.

Finally one last connectivity check before plugging everything back in and securing all the cables with cable ties. Back in business!

I have to say I'm surprised this problem isn't more documented. My guess is that after years of opening and closing the cover, the wires failed due to fatigue. There are some really large, very tight cable ties securing the harness that cause the harness to bend sharply or dig into it in several places. My guess is that this is where the wire failed.

Gerber_Edge_FX_Harness.jpg

FunkotronXL

Very nice, glad you found a solution!

The pictures you supplied covers an area to be mindful of; most of our pinched wire issues were right in that spot. Have had to replace several wiring harnesses over the years (which sucks by the way). Being gentle with the cable ties pays dividends. The cable ties on the upper frame can do this on an install as well, so it is not just that area alone.