• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge FX- Printing 600dpi any benefits?

MCV

When printing with the FX are there any benefits to printing at 600dpi when you have solid fills? Does 600dpi use any more ribbon? Why or why not print at 600dpi?

Something I never gave much thought until a customer asked. I understand the dots per inch for a normal printer but since Gerber use ribbons I wasn't sure if it took 2 passes of 300dpi or what happens.

mrmoto95

I use 600x300 for smaller things that the typical 300x300 makes grainy looking. For larger stuff I just use 300x300 because it's not viewed as closely, and still looks good. It still only passes the ribbon once at 600. It might also run a little faster at 300. Personal preference I guess.

Molenbeek

the difference for spot color will be strictly speed in that scenario- up to 3 times faster at 300x300. The higher dpi is mostly only used on CMYK prints or sometimes small items/text.

Marlene

solid fills are the same either way as far I know. it's when there's a dot pattern that it matters

MCV

solid fills are the same either way as far I know. it's when there's a dot pattern that it matters
Thats kind of what I thought but this last job I ran was just one solid fill color on top of white vinyl but at the edges of the graphic (vector) the image was a little jagged. I plan on doing a side by side test, but wasn't sure if there was a difference other than possibly being a little slower as mentioned. Thank you for the replies.