• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge FX - thin white line in ALL prints....print head going out?

MarkH42

We have an Edge FX that has developed a thin (less than 1mm) horizontal white line in all colors, always in the same place (1/2" from front edge). Increasing to high heat seems to help with some colors, but not with others. i seem to recall having this issue with an Edge 2 in the past and determining it was a bad print head. I have cleaned it thoroughly and rebooted everything to be sure it isn't a software issue, but it is still there. Any advice on where to go from here and who to call would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Unplug the Edge and remove the side and top covers. One at a time, disconnect and reconnect every connector that you see. This will fix if the problem is a poor connection anywhere. Also check for any fault in the platen at the place where the misprinting is happening.

Jburns

What fred said, and I would also clean the printhead with alcohol pad from gerber- take a flashlight and look closely at the head firing area- I have had stubborn pieces of foil stuck to it.

Gary Wiant

Once you get it cleaned print a an 11.8" x 12" block of 70% cobalt blue this will tell if the head is going out. Post a photo of the print.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the dreaded “pixel is out”

Having had an Edge printer for many years, this had happened to me before and no amount of cleaning or unplugging/plugging in will help.

I hope for your sake it is not but that is what it sounds like to me

MarkH42

UPDATE - I have tried everything on this post with no success. At 30 IPM and with the high heat setting, we got away with it for a few months. But now a second pixel is out and possibly a third. It is time to consider a new print head and as far as I can tell, Graphic Marking Systems and Gerber are the only two games in town. Am I missing anyone? Any suggestions? Does it really have to be sent back to one of them for replacement? The crating and shipping and lost time associated with that is as big a deal as the cost.... In the past, I have bought a used one and avoided this with our Edge II and I'm considering that now, but I'm also reconsidering biting the bullet and getting the printhead replaced and also getting it "tuned up" at the same time. Thanks for any input you may have!

Hielorojo

UPDATE - I have tried everything on this post with no success. At 30 IPM and with the high heat setting, we got away with it for a few months. But now a second pixel is out and possibly a third. It is time to consider a new print head and as far as I can tell, Graphic Marking Systems and Gerber are the only two games in town. Am I missing anyone? Any suggestions? Does it really have to be sent back to one of them for replacement? The crating and shipping and lost time associated with that is as big a deal as the cost.... In the past, I have bought a used one and avoided this with our Edge II and I'm considering that now, but I'm also reconsidering biting the bullet and getting the printhead replaced and also getting it "tuned up" at the same time. Thanks for any input you may have!
Try to Buy a Old Gerber 1 or 2 with a good printhead and fit this on your Fx, I think is the most economic way....

jfiscus

Rap Master
Ebay/craigslist is going to be your best bet. Getting a printhead replaced is about 3X as expensive as buying a used printer and flying out to buy it and renting a car to drive it home in.

MarkH42

Try to Buy a Old Gerber 1 or 2 with a good printhead and fit this on your Fx, I think is the most economic way....
I have read that the ohms have to be adjusted and maybe some other adjustments have to be made to allow a printhead from one printer to be installed in another one. Is this true? Is there anything available to walk you through the process?

MarkH42

Ebay/craigslist is going to be your best bet. Getting a printhead replaced is about 3X as expensive as buying a used printer and flying out to buy it and renting a car to drive it home in.
I'm finding good used Edge FX printers for $5,000 and slightly lower but I haven't priced a new printhead. I'm guessing it is going to be in the same ballpark. I'll call GMS today I guess, but I'm continuing to search for used machines.

Hielorojo

I have read that the ohms have to be adjusted and maybe some other adjustments have to be made to allow a printhead from one printer to be installed in another one. Is this true? Is there anything available to walk you through the process?
Yes, you have to modified the voltage depending of the ohm of the printhead, time ago a member "upload" the instructions about the procediment and the voltage values for each printhead ohms(for the fx models). I have installed a pair of the printheads on my gerbers and works perfectly.
I think that is the most economic way to try before of buy a new gerber or used...