• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge "Missing parallel port Device File"

Tel

We bought a factory reconditioned Edge after our old original edge head messed up, it leaves one fine line about 11.5 cm up but is fine for lots of sticker work at worst we dump that row. Anyway the old one worked with a super sprint cutter and all works well on Windows ME. The reconditioned one works absolutely fine if plugged in in place of the original but I have another computer with dongle (rainbow sentinel parallel port) but this one is working on XP professional and a GS15 plus cutter, the cutter works fine Omega composer is installed and seems fine but when I output to the edge I get the Missing parallel device file error. now I have been trying to fix it it and have found out about the warp9 fix and tried that but with no success, does anyone have any ideas. I must add that the reconditioned edge is fantastic value for money cheaper than a new head.

Tel

Sorry for being stupid but all I have ever done is plug in the dongles can someone guide me through the process of unchecking ecp, I have 2 dongles and both work perfectly on the other computer which is using the ME as an operating system but the XP Professional machine both dongles do the same thing, I am using an extra PCI parallel port.

Tony Teveris

On the Omega CD ( Misc folder) there is a program called ParCheck.exe. If you execute this it will tell you if your parallel ports are ECP.

Is your second Edge a I or II. If it's a II you need an ECP port.

You also need to configure your Rainbow (SafeNet) driver to only look for the dongle on the port that it is connected to. That program maybe in the Omega program group from the Start menu or you will have to look for it off the c:\Program Files folder. They change the name over the years so I'm not sure what you have.

Also try plugging your bad Edge I into the other computer, does it work ?

Tel

The edge isn't an Edge II that I know for sure, I have looked in parcheck in the (misc) folder it tells me LTP1 is ECP and that it can't open driver on LPT2 and LPT3. I have the sentinel plugged in LPT1 on the bad edge which runs on Windows ME I didn't check parcheck but did from the disk the check parallel ports and it tells me I have LPT1 and LPT2 and that they are standard ports, both the edges will work from this computer, today I tried another compuer with ME on and put a PCI parallel port in and installed the driver then put in the omega disc and put the sentinel driver on and before I attempted to install Omega when the intro page came up I checked the parallel port facillity and it told me it couldn't open the drivers for LPT2 and LPT3 and that LPT1 was ecp. I don't know why there is LPT3 as I only add one pci parallel port and when I do install LPT2 is greyed out and I have to use LPT3 for the edge.
I am confused as to how to configure the rainbow sentinel as it tells me in the sentinel programme that if it is system added I can only use or not use.
Can anyone tell me how to do this, should I try another pci parallel port card or are they all the same.
Thanks for feedback already guys.
What I really want to do is have the reconditioned Edge working on its own from a computer of its own on Windows XP Professional.
I will try the bad edge on the other computer, haven't done that yet.

Tony Teveris

If the "bad" Edge is working on the older computer (Win ME) and parcheck says they are standard ports then the Edge is an Edge I not II. The Edge I does not need an ECP port.

Now for the new XP computer The PCI Parallel port you installed is LPT3 because it's must be using a different address that LPT1 or LPT2. You can play with the bios but I can not give you any guidelines in that department.

Does the sentinel setup show you LPT1 and LPT3 . LPT1 should be at address 378-37F, LPT2 is normally 278-27F

From the Control Panel - Device manager Com & LPT ports does it show LPT1, LPT3 ?

You might trying updating the Rainbow driver (now called SafeNet) but since the Omega you are using is old I'm not sure the newer driver will work. I assume your running 5.37 and they are now at 7.5.

Tel

I am sure neither of the edges are edge2 both work on the ME set up by just plugging them straight in.
In device manager on the XP machine it states that LTP1 and LPT3 are present and working properly.
I am using Omega 2.0 and the sentinel driver is 5.41 I think, but I have tried updating it to 7.5 but it made no difference also to be sure all was well I formatted the PC and installed on a clean XP with the driver in before the super pro was plugged in and then Omega installed.
I thank you for all your help and suggestions but i am convinced that it has something to do with the PCI parallel port and think I will try another make,
The older Edge (I don't like calling it the "bad" edge) must be about 25 years old it has the big black knob and lifts up sideways as oppsed to the factory reconditioned edge which opens backwards, and as i said earlier we still use the older one for stickers and stuff we know is going to miss the blank line and the quality of the machine is still great, we have the Super sprint cutter which came with it albeit converted to LMK and no monitor and recently we picked up a second hand super sprint for spares, and when I tried it it is cutting great, as opposed to the castering blades of all the other cutters I find the the driven swivelling and lifting blade holder absolutely fascinating. We also have a GS15 plus cutter which is the one we mostly use with the edge, all these cutters make quite peculiar noises in operation and not one of them is the same they all have there own character, my only problem with them is controlling the speed I think the GS15 plus could do with going a little faster and the super sprints one is way to fast and the other a little to fast but as we have no monitor for them I can't change them, funny thing is though we picked the one for spares up in England and it had been lying unused somewhere but in remarkably good condition, its serial number is exactly 100 higher than our old one. Originally when bought in the eighties in Belfast the edge and cutter was about £25.000 which would equate for around $30,000 to $50,000 dollars depending on the exchange rate at the time.
No doubt about it it has given value for money, and still does, generally speaking keep them clean and they are trouble free.
Thanks for the help, I will keep you informed.

Tel

Well finally got it sorted so thanks Tony for pointing me in the right direction.
As device manager was recognising the PCI Parallel Port but the Parcheck of Omega wasn't I decided to try reconfiguring the safenet (sentinel) to the PCI parallel port which is LPT3 instead of LPT1 which it was on and I installed the Edge on LPT1 and it worked a treat.
Thanks once again Tony don't suppose you know how I can find the value of the R12 resistor on a fasttrack 650 Hitron high voltage board or where I can find out.