• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge or DC3??

JETsignworks

Hello everyone!!!! I am wanting some input regarding purchasing a machine. I would like either an edge or a dc3, mainly because of the spot color ability. I would like to be able to create colorful vibrant graphics for motorsports, mx, and vehicle/trailer lettering. I would also like to be able print directly to magnetic/reflective/clear materials. I do like the idea of the wider format of the dc3 and the convenience of print-cut when no lam is needed. I understand the color selection of the edge is MUCH better(unless someone is producing more colors for the dc3). It seems the edge is a must have for any sign shop based on how many folks have them, but I would like to hear from those with experience.

I guess I want a machine that is: Wide format/Any color/Fast/No lam/10 year outdoor/variable thickness/inexpensive output/bulletproof/ and much more for about $50.00. :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh

Happy New Year, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The DC-3 sports a higher cost per foot for materials, less selection of films and colors, doesn't work on films any thicker than 4 mil (so reflective is out) .... but is does print and cut on wider materials.

Both systems use thermal resin imaging but don't expect either to resist sunfade or have significant chemical resistance without adding after print protection. This is much easier with the Edge than with the DC-3 although the DC-3 Plus now prints positioning marks making the removal and reloading of the printed image possible (in theory).

A rarely mentioned shortcoming of the DC-3 is the lack of dust and static reduction wipers in the machine. Basically you need a very clean room to run the DC-3 to get as good of a result as you can get in a normal room with the Edge.

Panelling more often really isn't that big of a deal.

Printing and cutting on mag sheet is very pricey and problematic. The better solution is to print on film and overlay it on standard mag sheet. Same is largely true for the Lexan and PVC non-adhesive materials offered for the Edge. If you really want to cut non-rectangular shapes in mag sheet, invest in a flat bed plotter or a router and then you can add in all kinds of sheet stock as well.

Just MHO, but I would also have to say that Gerber Omega, with all its shortcomings, is still far easier to setup jobs for thermal resin printing and especially dealing with spot colors, than are the other choices on the market.

GT

First, I've always been a believer in building a market before buying any equipment. By doing that, you will have a better idea of which machine is best for you.

Speaking for myself, I don't have much call for any wide-format printing. What little I get, I'm able to farm out and turn a tidy profit.

However, I do get a lot of call for the type of work that the Edge is capable of.

I did well over $100k worth of Edge prints the first year I had my Edge (1998).

Between 1998 and 2004, I've done about $20k worth of wide-format work. It just doesn't make economic sense for me to purchase a wide-format printer when I can simply farm the work out.

Just something to consider.