Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edge Print has hairline mis-printed

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by thewoodage, Mar 9, 2007.

1. thewoodage

thewoodage Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Ok, not a great day here at the old shop - Now the edge just started getting a hairline just over 2 inches down from the top doesn't print - I've cleaned the head with the cleaner, I've cleaned the whole inside of edge - not sure where to go next - thanks for the input

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    If it's a continuous line on the x-axis, you might have a blown pixel on your print head. To isolate it for certain, assuming your visual inspection and cleaning was thorough, you would need to change foils, jobs and vinyl and do a short print. If still there and in only the one spot then either the head is bad or the circuitry that drives it.

3. thewoodage

thewoodage Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ohio
    thats what i was afraid of hearing fred - here's a pic of the culprit - thanks for the input

Attached Files:

4. RJ California

RJ California Active Member

Jul 19, 2005
    California
    I had both scenarios happen to me. Once I thought I had a blown pixel in the head but after a real strong scrub with a Gerber Edge cleaning wipe it cleared up.
    The second time it happened it was a blown pixel and I spent $5,000 in Gerber repairs on my old out-of-warranty machine.

I hope it cleans up for you!

5. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    if it is a blown pixel, at least it's not right down the center, so you can still print 9-3/4" prints... sucks I know... but always lookin' at the bright side. (I hope you have a service contract.

6. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Yep, been there done that. Ceramic heads are pretty rough on the pocketbook. Like others have said, clean first, test print...cry.