• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge print these? Durability?

GoodPeopleFlags

I have a customer wanting some 3.5" x 5" decals and she wants to know the outdoor life, if they're chemically resistant and the maximum temp. She found the ones she wants in online and it lists those specs but she would rather deal with us since we are set up as one of their vendors. Since they're only 2-color, I was thinking of Edge printing them with UV, instead of printing them on our Epson GS-6000 and laminating.

1) Do you think Edge printing them is better?

2) Where can I find out the specs of the outdoor life, chemically resistant and max temp?

Thank you!!!

mrmoto95

This is Gerber's site. You can read up on every product they have.
www.gspinc.com/
Just from what you say it sounds like the Edge printed stuff would be perfect. I don't know about the heat, depends on where they are going I guess.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Here's a link to the specs for Gerber 3M/220 film.

The service temperature range is -40°F to 225°F. Exterior life ratings vary with color. White is rated at 7 years. Foils are generally rated from 3 to 5 years depending on color and sunlight exposure. Unprotected solvent resistance is better than inkjet but still nothing to write home about. With clear Tedlar over-laminate, chemical resistance is excellent and sun fade resistance is greatly extended as well.

I would estimate the life of a black foil on white vinyl Edge print to be 4 to 5 years without Tedlar and 8 years plus with Tedlar.

What is the customer's temperature requirement?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Here is the link she sent to me:
http://www.mydoorsign.com/Safety-Signs/Emergency-Fire-Door-Closed-Sign/SAF-SKU-S-1582.aspx

It says 5 year outdoor durability, chemical resistance, and 140F.

Fred, I'm not familiar with the Tedlar overlaminate. We have the UV foil for the Edge. Will that help it?

Thank you!

Seems like those signs are standard indoor/outdoor signs and are likely screen printed. I'm not at all sure, however, what the concerns are with the exception of chemical resistance. The durability is more than attainable with Edge prints and UV overprint foil. The temperature service range exceeds the example substantially ... in fact a tinted glass vehicle window in afternoon summer sunlight gets much hotter and still holds vinyl. So all we're talking about is chemical resistance.

The clear overprints are designed to provide UV protection and some abrasion resistance. They are not, however, chemical resistant any more than the foils used to print the image. Hit it with denatured alcohol and you will start to get color coming off in about 45 seconds. Hit it with a high end solvent and it wipes off immediately.

The clear Tedlar is arguably the most durable film generally available. It has a ten year plus rating. It is what products like SignGold use to carry their gold leaf. When you buy an anti-graffiti laminate, you are usually buying clear Tedlar. It has an extremely high resistance to chemicals and also adds excellent UV and abrasion protection.

It is also fairly pricey. $294.52 for a 15" x 50 yard roll or about $1.96 per usable square foot. With normal markups, waste and application time, you are adding typically $6 to $7 per square foot to the selling price of your labels or signs. Those 3.5" x 5" decals will yield around 7 per square foot so the question becomes: How much is your customer willing to pay for chemical resistance? 90¢ to $1.00 extra per decal? I doubt that the example provided you indicates any real need for much in that department.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Keep in mind Gerber's foils are much more chemical resistant than most of the aftermarket foils.
ZeroNine NexGen series are more resistant than their legacy line.

Gerber's abrasion guard is very durable and works well as a finish coat.

omgsideburns

You can laminate the edge pritns with clear if you really want to.. Get a 12" roll or cut the perfs off a 15" roll and just hand lam..

It's extra work but it produces a VERY durable product.

GoodPeopleFlags

So you think laminating the Edge prints with regular laminate will work for the chemical resistance part? Buying the Tedlar isn't an option.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So you think laminating the Edge prints with regular laminate will work for the chemical resistance part? Buying the Tedlar isn't an option.

No reason it shouldn't satisfy your customer. Just make sure you use a cast laminate or even clear cast vinyl ... not a calendared product.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for all the info, guys! Royster - she only wants 14 of them so outsourcing to one of those places isn't an option.

Off to give her the quote! :thumb:

royster13

Did you quote based on out sourcing as an option?....I think the numbers for 14 from you versus 50 or 100 outsourced might not be that different.....Sometimes you sign folks just work too hard to keep jobs in house that are better suited to be outsourced....

omgsideburns

Yeah, for 14 decals, just laying some lam over them is the way to go.. if you need to run them through your laminator to do it, just tape over the perfs so you can just trim and peel.

;)

Malkin

We switched to using the ZeroNine NexGen ribbons partly based on the increased resistance to chemicals. I find them to be acceptable for most situations, although it's still not quite as good as having an overlaminate.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Gerber makes a few film laminates for Edge prints. Check w/ your local Gerber supplier and pick-up a 15in x 10yd roll.

smdgrfx

I've been using the Convex stuff as a tough overlaminate. It comes in a 13" roll and is easy to apply by hand. Then run it through the HS15 plus.