• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Printing black over white primer

JRgraphics

I was wondering if anyone had a fix for poor pigment transfer when printing black or any color over a white foil primer base. The Edge does not always transfer the foil completely on the white leaving either no transfer or a partial transfer. Thanks for your help. JR.:thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What brand of foil and vinyl are you using? I use Apex from Advantage Sign Supply which is the same as Duracoat for my Spot White and have no problems. If you are using Flood Coat White that could be the problem as it is very thick. If you are using an Edge 2 or Edge FX, you may need to set your speed back to Edge 1 settings.

Drip Dry

Why would you want to put a primer under black anyway.

But if you must, then maybe a double print on the black.

BTW - when you look at the foil after printing, does it leave any
of the black?

Jim

petepaz

we have an edge 1 (the orig.)
and i print white undercoats when i print on dark colored vinyls
i usually don't have a problem unless it is a large coverage
you can also try changing the foil setting for max. print
it is in the settings of the print/cut (rip) window

Marlene

More info on what foils and vinyls you are using would be helpful (see Fred's post). sounds more like a foil issue than any problem with the Edge. I print white primer all the time and have yet to have a problem. I use Gerber foils only and Gerber vinyls.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'm not very familiar with Omega but I believe it has a "shrink base" option that is used for underbase colors. That may help if it's not printing to the edge of the white primer.

KR3signguy

I can't stand the Duracoat foils, they tend to leave spotty artifacts on full coverage runs. Use Gerber foils!
I hate the whole gerber thing but it's 100% compatable.