• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge prints rubbing off?

CrAkD

I'm hoping you guys have an answer for me. I was told that gerber edge prints never rub off yet some people still laminate. I did this print with a zeronine dark red ribbon I got second hand so I'm hoping that's the problem or do you think I'm going to have to laminate them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 136

Karen Souza

I'm hoping you guys have an answer for me. I was told that gerber edge prints never rub off yet some people still laminate. I did this print with a zeronine dark red ribbon I got second hand so I'm hoping that's the problem or do you think I'm going to have to laminate them?

Laminate...that looks like high abuse

CrAkD

He's only had it a week! Problem is I don't yet have a laminator. Hmm. Any suggestions on a good cheap 15" laminator?

Robert Boyd

That looks like a solvent/ cleaner swipe. You could overprint with
abrasion guard or something like that. Maybe frogjuice.
Noting beats laminate

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't waste your money on a little laminator. Just do it over and tell the guy to stop cleaning it with gasoline.

Thermal is stronger than solvent, but it's still an ink and fierce wiping it down with some kinda cleaning agent will ruin anything.

CrAkD

image.jpg

These are hoppers on paintball guns....the guy wants 300 20" sheets of these numbers but what am I going to have to do to make these things bulletproof (literally!)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You are going to have to laminate them. Period. Roland, Mimaki, etc say their prints will last 3 years outdoors without fading. Sure, if it is in the shade and never gets touched by anything. Realistically, not by a long shot. Same with Edge prints. They are indeed very durable but for really protection they need to be laminated. Even if its just with a Frog Juice clear ribbon on the Edge. In my opinion though they really need a full vinyl laminate.

CrAkD

will the laminate protect against the vinyl blowing apart like that? Do you think upping the vinyl to oracal 751 will help?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My first impression was it was some sort of motorcycle tank, body part or something along the lines of vehicular. Something like this, which is purposely mishandled [by signs standards], is gonna be a little hard to do and do cheaply. Lamination will be a 'Must'. Doing it in-house, might prove difficult, cause even a liquid lam won't hold up under those conditions. They do make small laminators, but if this is your only customer needing it, might make your price to them sky-rocket through the roof.

CrAkD

well it wouldn't hurt to have one in case I need to laminate again and this customer is already talking about a second order and we haven't completed the first yet. (the pics are from a sample print) I am worried even with a laminate they are still going to blow apart like the second picture.

Sign Works

What are these things constructed of, looks like a textured plastic. Maybe try a thick high bond vinyl such as convex. If you want them to be extremely durable (bullet proof) then you must use extremely durable products, both vinyl and laminate. This application probably requires materials commonly used for MX decals, a thick high-bond vinyl laminated with an extremely thick laminate, have fun.

http://www.convexvinyl.com/

http://www.shopgms.com/index.html