• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge refill foils

mekazilla

where's the best place to order refill foils for the edge?
I was looking at the zero9 online site. It would be nice if someone stocked refills in Canada.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't know about Zeronine. Stopped using their foils a few years ago in preference to Duracoat. Here's a link to Duracoat distributors in Canada.

If you prefer Zeronine, call 1-800-325-0911 for the name of the closest distributor to you.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i only use 09 foils for short term jobs, and gerber for all others...i've found that the 09 foils tend to "leave things" on the print head...causing me to clean it more frequently...anyone else have this problem?

mekazilla

thanks, forgot about duracoat. I only have a few of theirs. Calgary Dist from that link has good price compared to the zero9's. What's the major difference other than the sound?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Duracoat has a softer edged print than 09 or GSP which I like better. Their cartridge sucks with it being rounded instead of flat and if you use their refills in GSP cartridges, like I do, you have to modify one end's inserts because Duracoat only has a core slot in one end of the core.

I have next to nothing in the way of dirt accumulation on my print head though.

signpro

Manager
anyone using Apex? they make a nice double-white and super-opaque-black that we've used with great luck before.

signpro

Manager
excellent. now that i think about it... i remember using DuraCoat long ago then switching to Apex for some reason... i bet that's the reason, Advantage labeled it themselves huh?

Grimco has the best price I've found on duracoat refills..$51 for 55yd. Much to my dismay Apex are 50yd at $58 from Advantage.. But I just love Advantage's service..

smdgrfx

I guess I'm the only one that prefers the Zero9 foils. I tried DC a long time ago and didn't like them. The colors seemed a little transparent and I didn't like the 4c turnout. I use a mixture of 09 and Gerber. The Gerber ones seem superior to me...and definitely pricier. I also never liked the DC cartridge. I still have one and it sucks...

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
Specifics on re-filling Edge cartridge with DC replacement foils...Please!!

Duracoat has a softer edged print than 09 or GSP which I like better. Their cartridge sucks with it being rounded instead of flat and if you use their refills in GSP cartridges, like I do, you have to modify one end's inserts because Duracoat only has a core slot in one end of the core.

I have next to nothing in the way of dirt accumulation on my print head though.

Fred,
:banghead:Taking your advice on the quality of DC replacement foils I just dropped several hundred on a CMYK pack from Hyatts, but I thought the price good considering they are 100 yd rolls.
I'm pretty savvy with taking things apart and putting them back together but frankly am a bit taken back by how to get the new foil into the old GSP cartridge without doing damage to one or the other.
Would you take a moment and elaborate on what kind of mod you did to the cartdridge (of which I have scads from my Edge 1 acquisition over the summer.) I would like to make the transition as straightforward as possible so I can get the CMYK pack installed on to the old GSP cartridges and be able to do it seamlessly every time.

Thanks in advance for your always invaluable help.
:Big Laugh

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred,
:banghead:Taking your advice on the quality of DC replacement foils I just dropped several hundred on a CMYK pack from Hyatts, but I thought the price good considering they are 100 yd rolls.
I'm pretty savvy with taking things apart and putting them back together but frankly am a bit taken back by how to get the new foil into the old GSP cartridge without doing damage to one or the other.
Would you take a moment and elaborate on what kind of mod you did to the cartdridge (of which I have scads from my Edge 1 acquisition over the summer.) I would like to make the transition as straightforward as possible so I can get the CMYK pack installed on to the old GSP cartridges and be able to do it seamlessly every time.

Thanks in advance for your always invaluable help.
:Big Laugh

The first thing you need to understand is that the cartridge is a convenience item provided for ease of handling. You can actually run the feed and take up foil rolls without a cartridge. My point in telling you this is that it doesn't matter much what you do to the cartridges to get them open. That said, here is what I do:

1. A band saw works best. If not available, then use a fine tooth saber saw or a hack saw to cut the bottom of the cartridge where it is welded to the sides on each side freeing the bottom. My definition of the bottom is the bottom when inserted into the Edge and the end caps are smooth. The top end caps have sprocket teeth. Once you have removed the bottom, clean off any sawdust from both the bottom and the remaining cartridge.
  2. Remove the four end caps from the empty rolls in the cartridge. The old rolls can be discarded.
  3. All four Gerber end caps have splines that fit into the slots in the Gerber rolls. Duracoat provides a slot in the top only (matches up to the sprocketed end caps). You will need to remove the spline from the bottom end caps by sanding or grinding it off well enough that the end cap will fit completely into the new Duracoat rolls. You're now ready to refill your cartridge.
  4. Lay the empty cartridge on its back on a table ... bottom off to the side and bottom opening at the bottom.
  5. Unwrap the DC refill by removing the short clear tear off at the perforations after pulling the glued down portion away from the roll. Insert the sprocketed end caps into the tops of the roll with the splines going into the slots of the roll. Insert the bottom end caps, insuring that they go all the way into the rolls. Unroll the two rolls slightly and lay them into the cartridge with the full roll to the right and the empty take up roll to the left. The glossy, non-printing side should be down. The top end caps should pass through the cartridge openings for them.
  6. Cut some vinyl into strips measuring 1" x 4.25". I prefer black but any color works fine.
  7. Place the bottom of the cartridge on the bottom of the open cartridge with the end caps protruding through the holes and so it matches up to the cartridge. Holding to together, stand the entire unit up with the bottom up. Holding it tightly together, apply the vinyl strips to seal each side to the bottom where it joins it.
  8. Apply the Duracoat label over the existing Gerber label in the same orientation.

Your refilled cartridge is now ready to use.

A word of advice and caution. The Gerber Edge has a design flaw whereby the printed image's starting position is affected by how much foil is in a cartridge. This means that when you are printing multi color jobs there may be x-axis errors in the color to color registration ranging from nothing to as much as .01" or more ... which is pretty noticeable. So if you're printing with two or more colors you are well advised to run a short test print to check for any color to color registration issues. If you are using Omega 4 or later, there is a built in utility accessible through GSPPlot that is intended to adjust each color for x-axis errors. Otherwise, adjust your file's image colors position manually to correct for any error.

Duracoat Refill.jpg Duracoat Refill2.jpg

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

where's the best place to order refill foils for the edge?
I was looking at the zero9 online site. It would be nice if someone stocked refills in Canada.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
The best price I have found is from Acme sign and neon, they sell duracoat.

Tone-Mark Creative

Old-School Sign Man living in the present
Dumbfounded by the Detail

Fred,

This response is above and beyond anything I expected.
:thumb: Thank you so much for the care and detail.

Best Rgards,
Randy

The first thing you need to understand is that the cartridge is a convenience item provided for ease of handling. You can actually run the feed and take up foil rolls without a cartridge. My point in telling you this is that it doesn't matter much what you do to the cartridges to get them open. That said, here is what I do:

1. A band saw works best. If not available, then use a fine tooth saber saw or a hack saw to cut the bottom of the cartridge where it is welded to the sides on each side freeing the bottom. My definition of the bottom is the bottom when inserted into the Edge and the end caps are smooth. The top end caps have sprocket teeth. Once you have removed the bottom, clean off any sawdust from both the bottom and the remaining cartridge.
  2. Remove the four end caps from the empty rolls in the cartridge. The old rolls can be discarded.
  3. All four Gerber end caps have splines that fit into the slots in the Gerber rolls. Duracoat provides a slot in the top only (matches up to the sprocketed end caps). You will need to remove the spline from the bottom end caps by sanding or grinding it off well enough that the end cap will fit completely into the new Duracoat rolls. You're now ready to refill your cartridge.
  4. Lay the empty cartridge on its back on a table ... bottom off to the side and bottom opening at the bottom.
  5. Unwrap the DC refill by removing the short clear tear off at the perforations after pulling the glued down portion away from the roll. Insert the sprocketed end caps into the tops of the roll with the splines going into the slots of the roll. Insert the bottom end caps, insuring that they go all the way into the rolls. Unroll the two rolls slightly and lay them into the cartridge with the full roll to the right and the empty take up roll to the left. The glossy, non-printing side should be down. The top end caps should pass through the cartridge openings for them.
  6. Cut some vinyl into strips measuring 1" x 4.25". I prefer black but any color works fine.
  7. Place the bottom of the cartridge on the bottom of the open cartridge with the end caps protruding through the holes and so it matches up to the cartridge. Holding to together, stand the entire unit up with the bottom up. Holding it tightly together, apply the vinyl strips to seal each side to the bottom where it joins it.
  8. Apply the Duracoat label over the existing Gerber label in the same orientation.

Your refilled cartridge is now ready to use.

A word of advice and caution. The Gerber Edge has a design flaw whereby the printed image's starting position is affected by how much foil is in a cartridge. This means that when you are printing multi color jobs there may be x-axis errors in the color to color registration ranging from nothing to as much as .01" or more ... which is pretty noticeable. So if you're printing with two or more colors you are well advised to run a short test print to check for any color to color registration issues. If you are using Omega 4 or later, there is a built in utility accessible through GSPPlot that is intended to adjust each color for x-axis errors. Otherwise, adjust your file's image colors position manually to correct for any error.

View attachment 93688 View attachment 93689