• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Sealing a Wrap :: Question

crickit7

So we wrapped the back of a toy hauler. The edges of the area had a latex sealant applied. Obviously, our graphic isn't sticking well where it was laid over the sealer. The customer does not want to trim the the graphic back a 1/4" if we don't have to. I am thinking we should apply another latex or silicone sealer around the edge using a caulk gun. Anyone have a better suggestion?? I thought about using 1/4" clear edge tape, but it will only have the same adhesion issue.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Trim it back now, or expect failure soon.
Possibly, you could peel it back, throw on some primer94, then put it back down and heat the crap out of it. And even then it might only hold for a little while.

Vinh1219

I'm having the same issue now on a Lunch truck we doing. Is there some kind of clear strip we can lay over it with.

Border

Can't see your particular install but I have had good luck with laying a new bead of caulk over the top to help clean up the edge in a couple situations like this where the customer was fussy. Only done it to a handful of them and had no issues with it lifting or pulling back. Just make sure you match the caulking material type and do a nice, neat job of it if you do decide to go that route.

WB

trim it.. or get your customer to sign something. I just did a 24' 5 ton truck tonight and who ever did the sealing on the truck do a horrible job.. I had to trim back 1/4" rather then try and follow the chalking.. Bottom line for me is it's not going to come off.

phototec

Applying a bead of silicone will work and secure the edge, however you MUST use the same type of silicone so it adheres (blends) into the existing silicone, sometime there are different ratios of true silicone mixed with acrylic or latex, you may have to call the Toy Hauler manufacture to find out the brand/type of silicone they used.

If you don't use the same type of silicone the manufacture used, it could potentially lift because it didn't blend with the original type.

:smile:

ProWraps

give the customer his options:

A. we trim it back and you get a warranty
B. you apply your own silicone and no warranty

super simple. if a customer doesnt want to listen to you on how to do it right, then let them do what they want and suffer the consequences.

graphics guru

DAP makes a crystal clear silicon, that is more clear than standard silly...used it before, no problems and actually hard to detect until you are right up on it

crickit7

Thanks for the advice guys? I am going to suggest trimming it back or having him handle the sealing if he decides to go that route.