• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge stalling...Tony you out there?

Marlene

I had some issues with my Edge stalling in the middle of a job and just sitting there with no way to get it to re-start. Tony had me go into my virtual memory and re-set to the initial size to 3900 and the max size to 4500. that seemed to work for a while, but it is doing it again. should I set those numbers higher?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like the spooler is looking for the next part of a large job and isn't finding the dongle. At least that was our problem years ago when we ran a networked setup. We corrected it by driving the Edge from the local machine where the dongle was plugged in.

Marlene

Sounds like the spooler is looking for the next part of a large job and isn't finding the dongle. At least that was our problem years ago when we ran a networked setup. We corrected it by driving the Edge from the local machine where the dongle was plugged in.

no network here, I'm running the Edge from the 'puter with the dongle. it does sound like it is looking for the next part and just can't download it. Tony had me up my virtual memory settings as they were too low and it seemed to work but it is doing it again and not sure why. what I was printing was just some simple text and the files are 1,050 KB as a .plt file and only 279KB as the spool file (which is what I sent to the Edge)

I shut down the Edge & the computer and re-booted everything it printed just fine. this has happened before and some times shutting off everything and trying again works, some times it doesn't

The Equipment Guy

Any chance you are running multiple dongles or an old parallel dongle with a printer installed on it? I have even seen people print through their dongles with an old edge, but 99% of the time that can cause issues.

Full of temp files maybe/

more than likely, its what Tony was dealing with, but just trying to give you some stuff to try.

Craig

Tony Teveris

Tony D had you change your VM.

This is an Edge I or II?
When it seems to "stop" do any of the buttons on the Edge itself do anything, or are they "frozen"? If this is the case I would point to "static". Lately it's been bad here in Connecticut.

I see NO reason to reboot the computer, maybe restart the Edge, kill the job in GQMgr and resend it.

I'm also assuming that you printing the job and not letting it sit over night or for a long time for the next color, if so maybe (far fetched) but the port could be going to sleep and not waking up, again far fetched.

NOTE to ALL: GQmgr does NOT look for the security key. If you attempt to install a device from GQMgr then the setup module will need to find the key.

Marlene

Tony D had you change your VM.

yes, he had me change the initial size to 3900 and the max size to 4500

This is an Edge I or II?
Edge 2

When it seems to "stop" do any of the buttons on the Edge itself do anything, or are they "frozen"? If this is the case I would point to "static". Lately it's been bad here in Connecticut.

it will stop and the message in the Edge window is "processing image" on my screen the GQMgr is flashing. I get an option to restart or terminate but restart never works

I see NO reason to reboot the computer, maybe restart the Edge, kill the job in GQMgr and resend it.

I have tried shutting down just the Edge but when I have tried that, it never has worked unless I also shut off the computer too

I'm also assuming that you printing the job and not letting it sit over night or for a long time for the next color, if so maybe (far fetched) but the port could be going to sleep and not waking up, again far fetched.

no, it doesn't sit at all. I send a job to the plot page, make a spool file and then click on "print from existing spool file" and do the job

NOTE to ALL: GQmgr does NOT look for the security key. If you attempt to install a device from GQMgr then the setup module will need to find the key.

the GQNgr doesn't look for the security key but does it look for data? it seems like it gets enough to start the print then stops when it can't get any more.

yesterday, I sent the job to the Edge and it stopped just barley into the print. I shut down the computer and Edge. sent the same job over and it went OK. I don't think static is the issue as the same thing has happen on some of the most humid days last summer

Browner

Have you switched out the connection from the EDGE to your computer? I've gone through a few cables here in ten years.

Marlene

Have you switched out the connection from the EDGE to your computer? I've gone through a few cables here in ten years.

you know what, I haven't and didn't think of that. thanks

AUTO-FX

Also, check to make sure your cable is not run to close to a power strip or other source of possible interference.