• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge with Graphtec and Flexi

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Can Flexi Pro 7.6v2 be used to output to an edge LE? If so I presume contour cutting can be done with a Graphtec FC optically.

Thx...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes it can but with that approach you will lose about an inch of the available image height to the OPOS targets. That not only wastes materials but, more importantly, it will eliminate enough of certain jobs to cost you more than a used Gerber plotter would ... in a fairly short time.

srt10x3

Fred Weiss said:
Yes it can but with that approach you will lose about an inch of the available image height to the OPOS targets. That not only wastes materials but, more importantly, it will eliminate enough of certain jobs to cost you more than a used Gerber plotter would ... in a fairly short time.

Fred, could you explain in a little more detail what you are talking about?

(reason I am asking, I am planning on contour cutting images printed on the Colorspan with my Graphtec..)

Craig

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
srt10x3 said:
Fred, could you explain in a little more detail what you are talking about?

(reason I am asking, I am planning on contour cutting images printed on the Colorspan with my Graphtec..)

Craig

Do not be confused. My point relates to just the Edge which is locked into an 11.8" image height for a single panel. This is because the Edge uses 12" thermal resin foils on 15" sprocket fed vinyl.

The sprocketed vinyl provides near perfect feeding of material and typically the print to cut alignment is done with a single target printed outside of the job and leading it. This way there is no loss of image area to targets. When you print OPOS targets, you are printing a solid target at each corner of the job which infringe on the available image area. Not sure why, but they do. The result is you lose about an inch of the 11.8" to the targets.

The net result is that smaller decals that would run, let's say 5 up, will now only run 4 up. And one of our main sellers, printed overlays for magnetic signs, can no longer be printed as 12" x 24" (white backgrounds) or 11.75" x 24" if bleed edge colors.

Vital Designs can certainly start with the Graphtec and Flexi he already has, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut he gets a 15" Gerber plotter in a very short time.

For your setup, the OPOS targets are little or no problem.

srt10x3

Fred Weiss said:
Do not be confused. My point relates to just the Edge

Vital Designs can certainly start with the Graphtec and Flexi he already has, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut he gets a 15" Gerber plotter in a very short time.

For your setup, the OPOS targets are little or no problem.

Ahh.. Thank you very much. That is perfectly clear now.

Thanks

Craig