• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edges of vinyl signs

altereddezignz

We have been doing a lot of dibond signs with printed vinyl then doing a complete overlay. Anyone know what i can use on the edged to keep them from coming back up just to help it stay down. I have not had any issue at all yet but just want an extra precaution. We ordered some 3m adhesive stuff that is supposed to be used on porus material to help it hold but it gives a ruff texture that you can see under the vinyl when it is applied.

Thanks

altereddezignz

I am not saying that i am getting any lifting just trying to take an extra step just in case. We normally only use avery 1005 or most of the time an oracal 3165ra

rjssigns

I use ClearShield on the edges. Never had issues when I didn't use use it, but I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy. Especially when the signs are 30 plus feet up the side of a building. YMMV

altereddezignz

I guess i need to clarify also. I am talking about where the vinyl goes to the edge and i trim it off flush with the edge of the substrate it is going on.

Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page..

altereddezignz

pretty sure we are

Yes i seen that , Was not trying to be rude or anything just wanted to make sure everyone knew i meant for under the edge of the vinyl. Not like the image below that is placed on the top edge of the vinyl.

I may also be confused on the way the edge sealer is sued. I have seen and or heard about it being used over the edge of the vinyl and then also being used completely under the vinyl.

I am just not sure why the 3m stuff i have looks so bad when used. It states it is used under the vinyl. I let it set the recommended time and also applied and kept it within the recommended temps.

As long as i ahve something that work i dont care.

I am not trying to be extremely over kill just a simple quick step for precaution just in case. WE havent yet had an issue.

Thank you all for the info and again sorry for my lack of knowledge on the edge sealers.

J Hill Designs

Yes i seen that , Was not trying to be rude or anything just wanted to make sure everyone knew i meant for under the edge of the vinyl. Not like the image below that is placed on the top edge of the vinyl.

I may also be confused on the way the edge sealer is sued. I have seen and or heard about it being used over the edge of the vinyl and then also being used completely under the vinyl.

I am just not sure why the 3m stuff i have looks so bad when used. It states it is used under the vinyl. I let it set the recommended time and also applied and kept it within the recommended temps.

As long as i ahve something that work i dont care.

I am not trying to be extremely over kill just a simple quick step for precaution just in case. WE havent yet had an issue.

Thank you all for the info and again sorry for my lack of knowledge on the edge sealers.

edge sealer is for over vinyl. primer 94 is for under.

altereddezignz

I would need a primer then based on the fact that the vinyl goes all the way out to the edge of the dibond and wouldn't have any surface past the vinyl. I would need to use the primer under it.

Has anyone used the 3m i listed above. Wondering if anyone else has had the same results as i am having?

J Hill Designs

I would need a primer then based on the fact that the vinyl goes all the way out to the edge of the dibond and wouldn't have any surface past the vinyl. I would need to use the primer under it.

Has anyone used the 3m i listed above. Wondering if anyone else has had the same results as i am having?

you shouldn't need primer. If anything, the clearshield will coat the edge of the vinyl AND the edge of the dibond, creating a seal