• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edit Onyx .xml cut files or export as .xml from EnRoute

taggianto

I'm having an issue with Onyx creating unwanted lines in my cut files. I've spoken with Onyx and they said it's a known bug that just happens sometimes if a cut line extends past the artboard when it's created in illustrator. Due to the complexity and size of this job and the number of times I'm going to have to edit and run it, it's not feasible for me to go in and edit the cut lines to stop at the art board every single time.
image-2-png.165444

All I want to do is be able to edit the cut file after Onyx rips it to the cut server.

I'm able to import the file into EnRoute 23 and edit it, but I can't seem to find any way to export it as an .xml file afterward.

If anyone knows of another way to edit a the .xml cut file after Onyx rips it or if it's possible to export as an .xml from EnRoute, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image (2).png
    image (2).png
    72.3 KB · Views: 431

ikarasu

You can edit it in the cut server - just right click the stray line and tell it to delete path.

It'll probably screw up the piece that has an open cut... but theres not much you can do about that.

taggianto

You can edit it in the cut server - just right click the stray line and tell it to delete path.

It'll probably screw up the piece that has an open cut... but theres not much you can do about that.
Yeah, it's connected to the pirate hat at the bottom, so it deletes that cut path as well.

taggianto

Why is the cut file extending past the artboard?
It's part of a large tiled wall graphic that's going to be going on different sized walls in several locations. We've got a large swatch laid out that we change the artboard sizes on to customize the print for the different locations.

1684853612440.png

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
once you've resized your artboard, use a clipping mask to remove the outside paths.

from memory
create a rectangle the size of artboard and place it in the centre (make sure it's on top of everything)
select everything in the artboard (ctrl+a)
right click the rectangle and press "make clipping mask"

This should solve your problem.

taggianto

once you've resized your artboard, use a clipping mask to remove the outside paths.

from memory
create a rectangle the size of artboard and place it in the centre (make sure it's on top of everything)
select everything in the artboard (ctrl+a)
right click the rectangle and press "make clipping mask"

This should solve your problem.
Unfortunately, Onyx doesn't play well with clipping masks either. I've had this issue before where I tried clipping masks and it ended up creating the cut lines double or tripled in areas. In theory, it should absolutely work. But technology *shrug*

ikarasu

Ungroup everything, have your cut lines on a separate layer.

When you resize the art board.... Draw a square the same shape art board on the top layer.

Hide your artwork, select the square and any shape that is hanging out past the square. Go to Pathfinder and intersect(or whatever the option is called) everything, it'll make a new cut line the size of the square and we'll cut your shapes with it perfectly.

That's probably the fastest way I can think of they won't screw it up.. you'll still have to manually select a few shapes, but at least you push one button and everything will be set up to cut properly.