• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EFI Vutek QS2 PRO upgrade

epi

Hello

does perhabs anybody know is it possible to upgrade EFI Vutek QS2 PRO UV lamps to LED lamps?
And if so, who could do that?

Thanx

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Unfortunately no ... one day enough engineers are going to leave EFI to start field upgrading all the useful bodies out there with newer hardware. It is POSSIBLE, but no you can't really do it without being an engineer lol.

The QS2 Pro is basically a 6 color GS2000Lx Pro. Same heads, except the GS2000Lx Pro is 8 color and LED.
In a perfect world you'd be able to change the QS2 lamps over to LED, add the nitrogen system, change software over to the GS version, and you'd be ready to roll. Unfortunately, there are some electrical differences between the two presses that means I couldn't say if it would explode. For 1, the GS presses are all 8 color, no 6 color. So i'm not totally sure if the new Vutek manager will support it. It might though ... as the head board should only report back the heads that are installed and on which channel. Or you could just "cheat" those channels off, or add all the necessary plumbing for 8 color and Fast4. Second, the GS presses use a completely different transformer and powerbox/breaker. I believe some of those aspects are controlled by the front end, or at least error codes would be all screwed up. Third and last ... as a power user, but not an engineer, I'm guessing there might be a few little sensor upgrades or motor changes that I don't know about and would be an issue.

The frustrating part is that the QS2 uses all of the same main components of the LED brothers ... same heads, boards, backplane, etc. Really they should just release an LED upgrade kit with software for that press. Unfortunately, the QS2 was released in-between the QS2000/QS3200 series and the GS2000 LED series - so they weren't out for long and there are not many of them in the field. So not much demand for upgrades. Besides, EFI isn't in the business of doing what's best for their customers ... why upgrade us for $80k when they can force us to buy a new machine for $300k?

Hoping some EFI engineer jumps on to tell me I'm wrong because I have a QS2 Pro :)

wunder

in fact is possible to install LED System......but for this you need to change/modify some parts/controlls aso. Need to search some documents "Modified Inca Spyer V from Mercury to LED System.....Software dont need to change ! additional control arduino based....very easy and cheap works great. but the LED parts are very expensive.

I will check the QS2peo specs compare to lxr and come back in shortest time.....whats possible to swap to LED

Michael....gsxxxlxr can be run cmyk or 2cmyk or 6 color or 8 color all you like is possible !

tbaker

6 color to 8 color, 2 additional ink lines need to be run.
Add 4 jets with supply lines, secondary tanks, etc
Replace capper assembly
Power lines for lamps (disassemble , restuff igus)
Entire carriage plumbing needs to be redone.
Computer won’t handle the load needs to be replaced
Servos are the same, positioning is wrong but I suppose you could make it work
Change out the transformers for the lamps
Change the lamps themselves
Change the air handling system
Add the nitrogen system

Just those parts right there, minus the labor costs to do that, and you’re looking at about 2weeks solid would make it cost prohibitive