• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Egads, but that's cheap......................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a guy call me from central New Jersey last week telling me his sign guy is too expensive. We chatted and the sign is a 4' x 6' 2 sided sign on two posts dug into the ground. I said, that's a little steep, but ya gotta get what ya gotta get. He then tells me, that's coming from south Jersey and installing out our way. Close to an 80 mile drive one way. Yowsa.

I told him since it's in our back yard, I'd figure out a price and we'll go from there.

Talked to the gal in charge of this stuff this morning and I gave her our price, which I thought was good and she said, oh, our guy quoted me $410.00 installed................................... huh ?????

He's gonna make this outta what ??
I don't know, some sign materials.
And he's driving 160 miles round trip and digging these in the ground ?? Ya know the ground is still frozen about 8 or 10" down around here ?? You also have to get a permit and call PA DIG 800. That's about $100.... plus $75 at least for a temporary permit.
All I know is that's what he quoted me.
Well, what happened to the numbers your boss was spouting off last week ??
I don't know if he knows what he's talking about, I got the prices right here.

1- 4' x 6' 2-sided sign on 2 white painted posts dug into the ground for $410.00 Artwork isn't bad, but has some detail to it, so a flatbed print would be the cat's meow and not die-cut or digital vinyl print.

I was talking a little bit ago about how cheap the banner material was. Now, get a load of these numbers.......... I don't care how ya do it, that is simply not worth it, even to keep someone busy.

:banghead:

AF

She is full of it. If the price he quoted was so great, why did she shop it? Let the guy lose money or let her come up with a an excuse why they guy cannot do the job all of a sudden. I wouldn't hold it against her, but understand it is all part of the game.

reQ

Not really surprised... we have more and more ppl in our area trying to undercut everybody else just to get the job. $100 for 4x8 ft full color coroplast sign, $200 for Dibond. 20 cents for 3x8 inch full color decals laminated etc.

Have phone call every week now and asking why i am so expensive, when this guy will do it for THIS MUCH LESS? Just trying not to worry about it to much, wish they will do more business like that and run their "companies" to the ground faster.

reQ

I would not get out of bed for $410

I always thought you remind me of someone... finally figured out who...
Tom Noonan

83287747.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not really.

While price enters into almost all transactions, we're generally very competitive up against other legitimate shops here and in third party dealings. However, we have a few things going for us, that will give us an edge, but in this case, nothing is gonna give you an edge over..... 'Stupid'.

Our service, competitive pricing, turnaround and workmanship is tip top and most people in the area know it. Those that don't are either lowballing buying fools or just never heard of us.

The lady later said, he's a very popular sign guy. I asked how big his shop was and she said she thinks he works out of his garage by himself and he's very very busy with all the real estate companies of South Jersey. I said, yeah, with those prices, I would think so. I will not compete with such foolishness. I sent off an e-mail telling them they have a better than great deal, so don't lose it, but should you lose this guy and need work in our area, call us.

Can you imagine, with the numbers, travel time and costs, permits, dig call cost..... he must be working for $10 an hour, if that. That's not even 'staying busy' money. Sheer stupid.

Jillbeans

Sounds like the d!ckhead lowballer from my county must have moved East.
Remember, he would do a 4'x8' d/s alumalite, installed, for $250.
And as for people shopping prices, many do it regardless of what you quote.
This is exactly why signs are now my "hobby".
Love....Jill

rjssigns

Here's my story from this week.

Caller: Can I get a quote for a full wrap on a beer semi-trailer?

Me: Yessir. Will you need it installed?

Caller: Nope

So I email the quote. Get a call next day saying it was way too expensive. He said Budweiser is sending him the wrap for 1500 bucks. It's a 41 foot trailer!:omg:

reQ

Here's my story from this week.

Caller: Can I get a quote for a full wrap on a beer semi-trailer?

Me: Yessir. Will you need it installed?

Caller: Nope

So I email the quote. Get a call next day saying it was way too expensive. He said Budweiser is sending him the wrap for 1500 bucks. It's a 41 foot trailer!:omg:

OMG. Lets say it would be 600 sq/ft total (should be more than that) thats $2.5 sq/ft, laminted.... frack it

rjssigns

OMG. Lets say it would be 600 sq/ft total (should be more than that) thats $2.5 sq/ft, laminted.... frack it

Yup. We're getting squeezed from both ends. Lowballers trying to keep the doors swingin' to multi-billion dollar companies that can afford to give the stuff away.:frustrated:

TimToad

Anybody can be in the sign business but not everybody can run a business.

Well, I sure wish all this attrition and evolutionary dropping off of the dumb, inefficient and inexperienced would start happening quicker. Its tough spending half your time justifying to so many of the customers why a quality job costs what it does compared to the bottom feeders.

rjssigns

Well, I sure wish all this attrition and evolutionary dropping off of the dumb, inefficient and inexperienced would start happening quicker. Its tough spending half your time justifying to so many of the customers why a quality job costs what it does compared to the bottom feeders.

Perfect.:thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, it happened again.

An old, well established customer calls and wants prices on 12" x 24" magnetics with just a little copy on them, all one color. After discussing his needs, he wants 50 sets...... 100 individual pieces. Yep, okay. He goes on to say, he's checked them out online and can get them for about $5.45 each.........................................................................

Huh ??

Can you save me the freight cost on them ??

After running the numbers, I could easily do them for that, make about 4 to 5 times my cost....... but what for ??

:covereyes:

reQ

Well, it happened again.

An old, well established customer calls and wants prices on 12" x 24" magnetics with just a little copy on them, all one color. After discussing his needs, he wants 50 sets...... 100 individual pieces. Yep, okay. He goes on to say, he's checked them out online and can get them for about $5.45 each.........................................................................

Huh ??

Can you save me the freight cost on them ??

After running the numbers, I could easily do them for that, make about 4 to 5 times my cost....... but what for ??
:covereyes:

Just go to the old topic we had great discussion in about pricing magnets and sub it out to any person who said they do it dirt cheap to make 3x of materials invested... = PROFIT

TimToad

I don't have much to add to discussions like this except to simply ask the question?

Are you are a signmaker or a wannabe banker/middleman?

Is your goal to simply never let a job go through your fingers even if all you are doing is playing middle man? Or are you in this business to mostly craft signs yourself?

We outsource only work we can't produce in-house or our workload won't allow us to squeeze it in.

I'd have gone to call center school or business college and not five years of specialized trade school and years of graphic design classes to learn this vocation if all I wanted to do was be a broker taking a cut off each job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't have much to add to discussions like this except to simply ask the question?

Are you are a signmaker or a wannabe banker/middleman?

Is your goal to simply never let a job go through your fingers even if all you are doing is playing middle man? Or are you in this business to mostly craft signs yourself?

We outsource only work we can't produce in-house or our workload won't allow us to squeeze it in.

I'd have gone to call center school or business college and not five years of specialized trade school and years of graphic design classes to learn this vocation if all I wanted to do was be a broker taking a cut off each job.

If referring to me, don't worry about it. I'm bringing these up because a bunch of them took place recently and they all resemble each other in a remote way....... unreasonably low pricing.

Kinda tough to say, but I kinda consider myself a businessman these days, as I hardly have any hands-on participation anymore. That's why we have employees. Remember them ??

My goal is to make sure everyone here in this shop has a paycheck, all our customers are totally satisfied and I have enough to sit back and fatcat. Many people need titles and evidently you're one, too. I don't care if I'm called a middleman, banker, sign person, or what..... just don't call me late for supper. But I don't need to be labeled a sign maker. That would be too restaining.Outsourcing is part of the business of doing business in any field. That's a given.

I'm happy for you that you have 10 years of schooling in this trade. That's a long time. Guess you're good at what you do.

Being in business, whether it be signs, music, dancing or many other avenues.... one always wears quite a few hats and tries to get as good as one can be in any one/all of them. If not, things will pass you by.

Anyway, we all handle things in our own unique ways, and if posting up some of these scenarios which helps benefits others, but bother you or you don't want to participate, feel free to refrain from entering in. :unclesam: