Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Component Pricing

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Sandman, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    I am going to supply a customer with either 8 new HO tubes and 2 ballasts or an LED retro fit. I don't do much electrical work due to Michigan's laws. I can get all the components from my suppliers and an electrician is going to do the installation. My question is what is the typical mark up range on bulbs and ballasts. He's a good customer so I don't want to screw him but I don't want to leave money on the table either.

Tags:
  2. Southpaw1

Southpaw1 Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    Without doing the install i'd say 30-40%. I usually mark up different because I can install where i live.

3. ggsigns

ggsigns Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Norcross, GA
    Definitely take a full mark-up. Sometimes even new ballasts fail and who will your customer look to for the replacement? You! The ballast may be replaced under warranty but the electrician won't go back for free so you get to pay him again.

4. Southpaw1

Southpaw1 Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    Correct... I usually take full mark up too

5. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    What do you consider full mark up. $10 cost, $20 sell?

6. Southpaw1

Southpaw1 Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    Yep

7. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    Thanks. I've dealt with various industries and full mark up can range from cost plus freight x 2, down to cost plus 30%.

8. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    do a google search for the items you are getting.
    This will give you an idea of what the end user would be paying if they did it themselves.

Once known, price accordingly