• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Electric license needed?

bannertime

Ok, I just got a call back from the compliance department at TDLR and they said you DO NOT need a license to change faces. You also DO NOT need a license to change light-bulbs. You DO need a license to touch the ballast, the lamp connectors and that such. I'm going to save that call recording!

So it looks like this info varies depending on who you talk to. Seems to me that they really need to clarify this in their regulations because it's vague as how it written now.

Exactly what we've been told throughout the years. I figure the people getting other answers are asking the wrong question or the person answering is thinking the company is more involved than they actually are.

There is no reason for a sign company to keep a master electrician on payroll just to change sign faces. If we encounter electrical problems then an electrical contractor is called in.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Exactly what we've been told throughout the years. I figure the people getting other answers are asking the wrong question or the person answering is thinking the company is more involved than they actually are.

There is no reason for a sign company to keep a master electrician on payroll just to change sign faces. If we encounter electrical problems then an electrical contractor is called in.

That's what I've been doing when the sign doesn't light up, we just call another sign company in town that has a license. I've been subbing it out and giving the customer one bill, but maybe technically it needs to come from the licensed company separately?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, I guess it's who you talk to. I talked to Rudy. The conversation basically went like this:

Me: My understanding from a previous conversation with a TDLR inspector was that you can't even slide a face out and replace it, regardless of size, if the sign is internally illuminated.
Rudy: That's correct.
Me: Even if I don't touch any of the internals, I still need a license just to change a face?
Rudy: That's correct.

Texas_Signmaker Again, just what I've been told and according to their sting videos, but yes, if you quote a job, you need a TECL number on your quote. If you advertise anything to do with electrical signs, you need a TECL on any advertisement (website, vehicle, business card, quote, invoice, etc.). You can however work under a Master Sign Electrician's license and use their number with their permission. I'd need to refresh myself on the details.

The electrical end of things is too much of a hassle for me personally. I stay (too) busy without having one more thing to worry about, so I've completely gotten away from dealing with them. It's not worth the time, headache, worry, etc. for me.

Johnny Best

So I went on TDLR website and they seem to refer all electric work to NEC rules and regulations.
NEC says that before you work on an electric sign you have to disconnect power. And you have to be a licensed electrician to be able to do that. I think the TDLR people like Rudy would interpret that as not anyone can remove a face from an electrical cabinet because it would be dangerous and against code because it was not powered down.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most signs today have a disconnect right on the outside of the sign or the end of a raceway. It's like a toggle switch. But I agree, Rudy seems to know what he's talking about.

Johnny Best

Most signs today have a disconnect right on the outside of the sign or the end of a raceway. It's like a toggle switch. But I agree, Rudy seems to know what he's talking about.
When working on, lets say an overhead fan in a room, just because you turn the wall switch to off does not mean it turned the power to the fan off. The NEC wants you to shut power off at the source.
I realize you are just sliding a face out to replace but if the TDLR guy sees you it could be trouble.
Just don't get any work from FaceBook or Craiglist ads.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well..... kinda, but that's not exactly how they work.

Disconnects for electric signs must be located at the point where the feeder or branch circuit enters the sign enclosure or pole.

The old method, like in your example..... the disconnect could be located anywhere on the sign enclosure. This means that the feeder or branch circuit could enter the sign enclosure at one end of the sign and the disconnect could be at the other end of the enclosure. Line-side conductors inside the sign would remain energized, even if the disconnect is in the off position, posing a serious shock hazard to the sign technician.

Requiring the disconnecting means at the point where the feeder or branch circuit enters the sign, or where the conductors enter the pole that supports the sign, will mean that when the disconnect is off, all conductors inside the sign will be de-energized.

Johnny Best

Good to know Gino, been a long time since I pulled a face or messed with a lit cabinet.
Hope that nugget of information helps somebody on here.

visual800

I was told here in our town that you cannot touch an electrical sign without licensing, no bulbs and no faces. Inspector relayed this to me. Im thinking hes full of it (like most are). I mentioned this on the other post Moze made. This is not about safety its all about money, it always will be

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Johnny found another nugget, you get another point! Yea I wouldn't dream of Facebook or Craigslist... I'd hate to find out the type of customer we could get from there... ehhem "In memory of decals" ehhem.