Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Discussion Question Electric Trimmers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Print & Cut Systems' started by DSGI, Nov 24, 2019.

1. DSGI

DSGI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Hello All -

I'm looking at year-end equipment purchases and wanted to get some feedback on the Royal Sovern Electric trimmers. Does anyone have one? How does it work? Is it worth the money? Mainly we print long runs of vinyl, paper prints, and scrim banner. We'd use this to trim the prints off a roll that would then be trimmed on the edges by hand. We are also considering an applicator table that would have a roll holder and a hand trimmer, which option would be better for us? Can the electric trimmers handle a variety of materials, such as static cling, 3M vinyl, scrim and mesh banner, paper, etc.?

Finally, are there any other brands to consider besides Royal Sovern? We've looked atFfatoba cutters, which are nice but expensive and our runs aren't always of the same size (for example wallpaper panels are the same size for the inner panels of a mural, but the first and last panels are 1 or 2 inches narrower - so when we make a layout and print a roll, we'd have to reset the cutter/slitter widths on a Fatoba to do a whole roll - making the higher price point seem excessive.

Thanks!

DSGI

2. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    I purchased a RS trimmer a couple years ago to get in as a last minute tax deduction. At first I didn't really think I would get much use out of it, but after a while, I found myself using it a bunch.
    Ive used it with regular vinyl films, reflective, cling along with scrim banner material with no issues.
    The spaced for the material to slide thru isn't very much so it can be difficult to trim premasked decals because the app tape tends to curl and stick as you slide it thru.
    Also - there is a big metal guard that I removed because it would be impossible to pull out remnants that are too big to pass thru the back but are too small to drop in the cloth catch.
    I'm happy with it, but would not consider it a must have item.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I just bought a Worx Trimmer & Cutter, this afternoon. It'll be here Friday.

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    The hedger?

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    More than a hedger

[​IMG]

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  6. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    A quick hint if you decide to go with an application table: RS sells the rollover tables, however, Rollover also sells direct in the US and at the SGIA show their price was a few thousand less than what RS told me. They look like they are built well but I have no experience using them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    +1 for what Evan GilletteEvan Gillette said. Rollover is a terrific company and I know the owner and the Vice President of Sales and marketing. Their build quality is phenomenal. They are manufactured in Norway and they have a small dealer base in the US, but they do sell though the Royal Sovereign dealer network. Their price point is lower than some of the competitors, without sacrificing build quality. They are shipped completely assembled and don't have the issues with uneven floors that some do. Take a serious look at them if you are considering an applicator table.
    www.rollover.no